Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Coach1310

Organ Donation

24 posts in this topic

Good day all. I recently lost my uncle to Cystic Fibrosis. He was at the top of the lung transplant list for 2 years, but they were unable to find a set of lungs for him. Please consider becoming an organ donor. There are many, many individuals out there just hoping for another chance thanks to a genetic disease or irreversible condition. Just some points/facts to consider.

** Roughly 100,000 people are awaiting an organtransplant.

** About 77 people receive one everyday

** About 19 people die each day awaiting a transplant.

** Both Newborns and Senior Citizens can donate

**A single donor can improve/save the lives of 50 people

**Kidneys, heart, lungs, pancreas, intestines and livers can be donated

**Organs must be used between 6 and 72 hours after removal

**Average waiting time for lungs is 1,068 days

**Lungs can only survive outside the body for 4-6 hours

** In 2005 approximately 3,500 people were awaiting a lung transplant, yet only about 1,000 received them. Even with the improvement in surgical procedures the number of donors is still too small.

Organ donation is a gift you can give those in need when your organs can no longer help you. Please consider it.

Thank you for taking the time. Have a great day.

Nice post Coach. My FIL donated everything of use. 6 people benefitted from his posthumous generosity. OD has been on my license for approx. 15 years. I don't think my lungs or liver will benefit anyone however. Not to mention my poor excuse for a brain as I am frequently reminded. frown

Coach, one of the best posts I've ever seen in this forum! I was an OD since I became a legal driver at the age of 15. A good college friend of mine has CF and sells insurance of all things. I hope he can make it a good many years, he's in his mid-20's now. At any rate, I'm sorry to hear of your loss.

My wife works with transplant patients and she gets sick of seeing so many people waiting until its tragically too late.

You can't take em with you on the next step of your journey, so leave em for someone else!

Good post. I have had it on my dl for 20 yrs. Even if you get to old there is always something to use. Yes there are some people who are against this idea. But see what they say when the time comes.

I am also an organ donor - have been since I was 20.

Also think about signing up with the National Marrow Donor Program. The initial signup is just a little more blood when you are donating anyway. You never know.

Great post Coach. Been one since I've been driving. I won't need them where I'm going anyway. wink

I added OD when I got my motorcycle endorsement.... lol

it was funny once I looked at my new license. I also try to donate blood once in a while.

Funny shizzy!

I had OD put on my license when I got it. Everything except my kidneys. Nobody's going to want those battered things. smile

I have also had OD on my license for about 25 years.

5 years ago my Dad was a recipient of the most generous gift from a generous person (joe from Mankato) and his family. My Dad got a liver and kidney after Joe had an anyuerism (sp?). My Dad was literally on his death bed that night, but something good was able to come of Joe's passing.

We ended up meeting and getting to know Joe's family, and it was really a good experience for us and them, including Joe's Mom who is in her 90's. Not all meetings go so well, but for us, my Dad and Joe's family it was really a moving and heartwarming experience for all.

My Dad just passed away a few weeks ago, but those extra 4 years we got with him are precious, and he appreciated every day, even though some were tough, very tough. His body was pretty used up, but he was able to donate his eyes to help others.

Thanks for posting Coach. If we could get a proposed law passed that would make the OD program an "opt out" program instead of an opt in program, we would be in much better shape to help people who are waiting for precious gift's of life. Check with Life Source on this program, there are many doctors who are pushing for it. I am sorry it is not in effect to help your loved one, and many others.

I'm with Shizzy on this one, put the OD on when I got my motorcycle endorsement. I think Box is right on the money, should be an opt out versus and opt in type program. Might want to push that at the state level with your reps and maybe get it on the books. If a 16 y.o. can get the legal age to give blood lowered I would think this could get done as well. Great post folks! I'd bet there are alot of FM folks that are donors. Good people on this board!

Tunrevir~

I'd bet there are alot of FM folks that are donors. Good people on this board!Tunrevir~

Well Thanks !

I donated a kidney to my Uncle Ray back in early 90's.

I,m happy to say my kidney now lives in Florida and is doing well. (So is my Uncle Ray)

Great post Coach and I have been a OD from the start of the program. When its time to go I sure hope I can make a difference in somebody's life so they can enjoy there time on earth and get out and do some fishing.

I've had OD on my license since I got it, and my family is well aware of my wishes.

This is the strangest post I have ever seen here. Agreement sleepsleep What is that all about. J/K

I am a OD as well. Please make sure that your wishes are known by your family. Just because it says so on your DL, does not mean it will happen if your family does not make it known at the time.

Man, haven't thought about this topic in a while. I remember having the Donor designation put on my license around 1970-71 somewhere around there. At that time they had a hard time getting people to do this because the rumor was, if you were in a bad accident they would not try as hard to save you as they could sell your body parts and make a bunch of money from it. How times have changed, and for the better I might add.

I am a OD as well. Please make sure that your wishes are known by your family. Just because it says so on your DL, does not mean it will happen if your family does not make it known at the time.

Very good point Farmboy! It still is up to the family, so making your wishes known is very important.

I have been an OD since I was 16.

Hopefully, my organs will be all used up when I am done with them...but you never know.

My family is aware of this...and my wife is an OD too.

Originally Posted By: Farmboy1

Very good point Farmboy! It still is up to the family, so making your wishes known is very important.

I let my wife know my wishes and also had advance directives put into my will so there aren't any problems down the line.

Tunrevir~

I have had the OD endorsement on my license since I was 18 I believe 12 years now.....when I got married I looked at my wifes lic and said to her "Why wouldn't you want to be a donor" and she said she never thought of it and now has the endorsement on her lic as well.....

I appreciate all who have read this and all who are currently Organ donors. Like has been said, make sure your family knows your wishes, so in the event of a tragedy somebody's life can be saved.

Please help spread the word. Currently many if not all of us are not in need of a transplant, but there are many who are. Encourage your family and friends to become donors. Any word of mouth you can get going that educates and encourages is a step in the right direction. Thanks again for reading.

Yup, big supporter of organ donation. I was just talking about this topic with my sister a couple of days ago. Not quite the same thing, but our cousin donated his kidney to our aunt.

As weird as it can be to think about your own death, it's reassuring that possibly it may help save others. A very personal decision for sure, but there are so many good reasons for doing it.

I am a huge supporter of OD, if you have a moment please look at the caringbridge HSOforum and the person you should look up is Otto Machado. He is in need of a liver and there is info on how to register free for becoming a bone marrow doner through NASCAR. We were able to donate my moms eyes, eventhough her body was riddled with cancer, if you have not signed up for this DO IT NOW, there are way too many people out there that are in need.

Hope