• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need a place to bowhunt

mnhunter79

Hey everyone, the land i bowhunt on is getting sold. Need a place to bowhunt. Will split deer w/land owner for permission to bowhunt. Around the mankato, lake cystal, madelia area. Or willing to hunt with someone else, always open to making new huntin buddies.

I do hunt public, but not for deer, until this year the way it's lookin. I also take my fiance slug hunting, public hunting land and slug hunting, not my first choice. And ya im by no means rich, so up north is out. Takes more than a couple days to harvest a quality deer with a bow, usually.

I dont like to have to say this cuz it sucks, but all ya can really do is either hunt public land or start going door to door. Ive done my fair share of both. Within a season or two you should be able to be on another piece of private property somewhere where you'll have success. Dont be afraid to go door to door. The worst that can happen is they say no. Tell the landowner your situation, and that you BOW hunt, and they will be more likely to let you on. Land owners appreciate bow hunting more, for two reasons; its harder hunting, and because most of the time you dont even know that they're there.

Hunter4life - This will be my first season bow hunting since our land got a house built on it when the owner retired so there goes the slug land. Anyway, I like the idea of having more time and yes it will be easier to convince landowners to let you bow hunt as opposed to rife/slug hunt.

So this year I'm going to hunt public land since I didn't have time to go door to door. Next spring/summer I will be looking around the St Cloud area for some private land to possibly hunt. I noticed your in St Cloud, so I was wondering how the overall experience was getting permission to bow hunt around here if in fact you did? I have gotten permission for some goose hunting land but deer is a little different. Thanks for you info.

Nate

Tippman - That is what I figured that it wouldn't be easy. Thanks for confirming my suspicions haha. We'll see next year how it goes. Any idea how busy Sherburne NWR is during bow season? Did some scouting out there, but not sure how many hunt it.

I am lucky this year, I found an outstanding public spot that gets almost no pressure, and I was selected to participate in the city bow hunt. In previous years, I just drive around and look for decent size chunks of land that look good, or where you can see deer in the evenings. Then I go ask the land owner. Thats all I do, but ya gotta be will to drive around the whole area and keep asking.