• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Confused on Patterns

Craigums

Thanks Deitz,

I have the plastics you mentioned (pretty close anyway) so I'll see what happens. Probably won't pull a Carolina because the guy I'm fishing with likes to anchor up. Do you ever cast a Carolina rig out and slowly reel in? One more Q. What size hook do you use for dropshotting bass?

On a side note, the biggest change I have made lately in regard to fishing is my line as a result of the discussion in the other topic about fishing cranks. I spooled three of my rigs with 8lb Gamma coploy. Had a chance to use it on the St Croix last weekend and was pretty sucessful. Biggest adjustment is using a greater hook set than Power Pro. It does have some stretch, less than mono and more that PP, so it didn't seem to pop the hook out of fish's mouth as much as PP upon hookset. Also it's tough stuff, low memory, and cast's well. I think I'm going to like it, especially for W's.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Calv- glad you like the Gamma, as I have said, Its my fave by far.. I dont really cast and slowly reel a carolina rig, I more cast, do a slow drag, and reel in the slack.

as for hook.. I like the stand out hooks. And usually use a 1/0 or a #1 in black.. I'm not a fan of red hooks often.

So I did see you out there on chisago saturday Dietz, i wasn't sure till now. I was pulling up to the dock right as you were leaving. Heck of nice boat you have. I found some fish on cranks also, but none made it to the boat over 18"s for me. I did have one break off on jig/ringworm and one that I lost that felt big. I did find a spot loaded with bass and other species too, but ran out of time so I didn't get to fish as long as I would have liked. I think a drop shot would have worked well in that spot but i still need to learn how to rig it up. Thanks for the tips on what's working in your neck of the woods.

Thanks for the boat compliment.. I must admit, sometimes I go fishing just so I can sit in it.. LOL...

Now that you know what it looks like, stop me and say hi.. I dont bite. Also, I'll be more than happy to show you how to rig a Drop Shot.. (its what I caught most of my fish on saturday)

Calv,

Make sure you bring some spinnerbaits out to Green. They will be crushing them for sure! They love big white and chartreuse spinner baits and should be putting on the feed-bags big time out there!!

We did good on Green (by Willmar) for smallies with a couple @ 20'5", one @ 20", three 19"'s and lots of smaller fish too. Lot's of slab crappies, No big LM, and no W's. I had the best luck on the YUM senko type worm rigged wacky on a wide gap no shank hook with a splitshot for weight. The Carolina rig and the Dropshot were both a nuisence because the weight kept getting caught in the sandgrass. Most fish were deeper close to the breakline. Didn't throw any spinnerbaits but caught a couple on a Chatterbait.