• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Confused on Patterns

Craigums

Im confused. Ive read reports saying that bass will start moving shallow again as temps cool and summer turns to fall. Ive also read that bass with move towards remaining green weeds.

Correct me if im wrong but don't shallow weeds die first? so wouldn't those two reports condridict themselves? Anyone care to elaborate...

I usually make it up to my cabin only once a week so it seems like everyweek the pattern can change on me and i'm always trying to stay one step ahead of the fish. I'll be going up there this weekend and I am fairly confident they will still be in there summer haunts but within the next couple weeks and into October I'm not so sure, fishing last fall was really tough

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will always look for green weeds which will be a little deeper as the fall progresses. The fish will use these as a stopping point spring and fall on their way to and from deep and shallow. A lot of the fish are deep right now and will start to move shallow. While not all of the fish do this, a lot of them do. The colder the water gets the shallower they move (looking for warmer water) until the sun will not warm that water anymore and they will move back deep for the winter. I think we are still 2-3 weeks away from the majority of the fish being shallow.

So while the majority of the fish will make a stop in the shallows until the sun no longer warms the water, All the bass will at least at some point make a stop at the deeper remaining green weeds until winter rolls in and they all congregate near remaining weeds?

That seems to make more sense now... While the bass will move shallow again its only for a small window of time

I would just be carefull with the word "all". There are very few things that "all" bass do.

A 80 degree day in October can be one of the best days you will ever have. They get really active when that water warms for a day and baitfish come shallow...

They will be on both types as they don't move up at the same time. I usually start deeper and move shallower as shallow fish will typically be more active when the sun is higher late in the fall.

I have caught quality shallow fish, less than 8', right down to the 40 degree water temp mark. I have found my best schools of fish in October shallows, up putting on the feed bag. Usually my biggest fish of the year come at that time in those conditions, and normally my biggest bags also. Now throw turnover into that question and you will really get confused, since not all lakes turn over at the same time. One lake that was hot as a pistol the week before will turn into the dead sea for a short period of time but the lake across the road which is deeper will still be going and vice versa. Coontail is usually the weed that will stay green the longest, sometimes right though ice up. Locate some of this in that 6-14 foot range and it will normally start to be a fish magnet late in the year if it isn't already.

I'm sure things are the same here but a little later. We find them on the flats of points in the fall near dieing weeds. We think they are there feeding for winter. Normally they are in 2-4 feet of water. Use a swim bait, or jig and worm or brush hog. Lots of fun. Never have tried a crank bait

Cranking for them is fun. One fall I practically caught a fish on every cast using a crank. It was a sunny afternnon day and I was using a crank with lots of flash. Some of the hits happened as soon as the bait hit the water. I guess all the elements came together that day and I won't forget it. All the other lures mentioned have worked for me and usually your chances of catching bigger fish during this time is higher. Any docks, or boat lifts still in the water will hold fish. Be careful with your approach and presentations. I came across a big school of fish at one boat lift when I was using a jig/pig. Unfortunately, I only caught one fish. My jig got snagged at the base of the boat lift on my next cast and all the fish swam away to my dismay cry.

I had a similar experiance on sunny day late in October. I was fan casting Chrome lipless crank down a shore line on a wright county lake and found a steep drop off (3-7 in a hurry) and it was like a switch went ON. At one point I caught Back to back to back to back fish all in the 2-3.5 lb range. (FUN) Didn't catch anything over 3.5 that day but I caught around 20 plus fish in about 30 minutes in one small area. Also pulled in a few decent Pike. Never will forget that. I look forward to mid to late fall fishing becuase I want to find that again.

I'm thinking Dietz's statement about them not moving for a few weeks is right. It's still early September which is typically the best time to hit deep rocks on lakes like Minnetonka and such. Will be quite a bit closer to October when they really get going up shallow.

Deitz,

Gonna try the jig again? Hows the arm, wrist, and ab region feeling? Wondering if you have ever applied any scent type products to your jigs or soft plastics in situations that call for slower and smaller approaches... I did (apply a spray on scent to my jig-n-trailer) for the first time last week and even though I didn't have alot of luck with numbers I did catch a 16.5 on my very first flip. I was a bit shocked. Could be coincidence... never know.

Its always fun to play with scent. I think just about anything you use is helpful to cover your own human scent. I was a big fan of Exude. It was a product that gave off a ton of scent. I used to use KickNBass, I also used SmellyJelly, but hate spilling stuff.. so I haven't put an extra scent on a lure in quite some time. Probably more lazy than anything.. and I hate garlic smelling lures, I dont want my boat to smell like a pizza.

I look at it as it can't hurt anything to try it. I too am probably more lazy than anything and don't use it as much as I use to. The new Gulp spray does work wonders when smallmouth fishing.

Deitz and bassnspear i will have a case of chompers sent to your house immediately. Heard a story one time of a guy biting into a chomper to shorten it down like he did with many other brands and spent the rest of his tournament puking. good luck

and i hope this patterns post continues. ike