Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Woollman99

15 HP Kohler Engine Question

4 posts in this topic

Wondering if anyone can give me some idea(s) as to what's wrong with my riding lawn mower engine. I have a lawn rider that has a 15 horse Kohler engine---the rider is approx 12 years old. Afer sitting idle for a day, the mower will start right up, however after running for 4-5 minutes, the engine shuts down and quits running. The engine will turn over, but not fire. Upon inspection, the engine seems too hot---almost overheated. If the engine sits idle for a full day, it will fire up but quit running again after the 4-5 minute timeframe. Can anyone give me some ideas as to the issue with the engine quiting and possibly overheating?

Thanks

Fuel and spark, which one is missing?

Next time it doesn't start spray a little carb spray into the carb and crank it over. It it starts and sputters to a stall your missing fuel. If it doesn't start check for spark.

Speaking from a similar experience, verify the gas cap vent hole is open. If the vent hole is plugged, the scenario you describe can happen.

Checking the gas cap is good advice.

As for the overheating.

Check the oil level.

Look for grass or mouse nest in the cooling shroud, around the head and flywheel.