• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Where are the big pike?

Mike Stark

just wondering where folks are catching those big pike. the biggest pike i have caught so far have been when im jigging for walleye.....are they out deep waiting for the water to cool to come up shallow to feed? at what temp to they turn on and start to fill that fall feed bag??

thanks for the help.

mike

DEEP!

Yes they are deep, rare occation that they will come up and feed quick before going back deep. They will do this until the water temps start to drop. I hate it because I dont like to fish deep and there is a lot more deep water to search than there is weeds/weedlines. I get most big pike in the sping. Couple more weeks they might start moving up shallower at times. Trolling is one way to attempt to catch them deep, or live bait if you think you know where in the deep water they are.

On Tonka big pike will hang about 25 ft depth close to weed flats. Thermocline sets up at about that depth. Troll crankbaits like DT16s, Fat As, Ernies< Jakes or big 2 to 3 oz spinnerbaits. I zig zag from 18 to 25 ft along the breakline. Serpentine Shel Serpentine! Once temps get into the low 60s the pike will move shallow. Tonka holds 40"+ pike and this is a good time to start after them.

like mentioned most of the big pike most of the time will be "deep" in the warm water season

However, I have had the craziest pike fishing of my life the last 2 weeks with all fish caught/seen in depths under 6 feet, with some coming from literally a foot. The key to both waters I think is that they are relatively shallow waters that have huge pike and have poorer clarity.

First is a lake in the BWCA and the other a large river system in WI. Burning inlines and spinnerbaits around an ounce plus have been awesome for them. And a high percent of the northern pike have hit right after making a directional change with the rod to move the lure left or right through the water suddenly, and also right as going into figure 8's.

On our lake (14' clarity) they feed on ciscoe's throughout most of the warm water season. Which means they are deep with the large walleyes near the thermocline. They seem to be diverted to the perch at times, but most of my 30"+ pike have been caught deep.

Since we usually pack up in October, I have yet to see the best big pike bite. When the ciscoes come up shallow to spawn in November. I may have to try it out this year! I would really love to get a 40+.

My cousin got a 12lb pike yesterday here in the metro in some pretty shallow water, I was kind of surprised I was expecting them to be deep. Water is very dark so that is probably key to why we got one shallow at this point, the water is still pretty warm but I believe the fishing is just starting to pick up. Pic in the Pike Pics thread.

I had 68 degree temps in the metro yesterday, the pike bite will soon begin to move off the deeps! Some of the most fun fishing is to come... Working breaks with cranks or a jig 'n' minnow in the upcoming weeks can result in just about any species of fish!

Spinnerbaits, cast or trolled, on 'tonka as Mark Stanley was mentioning can be the ticket for sure. $6 gets you a 3/4oz Northland spinnerbait that's hard to beat.

Yeah, but buy several!! Those big pike and muskies can really do a number on spinnerbaits. Just a FYI I have been catching some good pike trolling DT16s and another member has done even better with Bomber Fat As. I still start with spinners but if I don't get a fish in 30 minutes I'll throw a crank at them.

this time of year with the low light periods the weeds are dying off, depleted oxegen isn't optimal and as a result the baitfish that pike feed on that rely on them for cover and food have moved off to other areas. or at least most of them have. big pike at this time of year become more of a roaming sort, and not so structure oriented. baitfish still need to eat and the things they eat are generally closer up to shore. smaller baitfish they eat get closer to avoid being eaten and to find food themselves like small insects or particals blowing from shore. bigger baitfish, except perch, tend to hang around areas where they can eat these smaller fish and insects, like ants, hoppers, crickets etc. i've found that by fishing areas like high banks with tall dried grass or near fallen trees produce well in the fall for larger pike, say over 30''s or so. the really big pike are fewer and far between in any water body around the metro and seem to hang in these areas and farther out on the edges of deeper points or underwater islands and humps. if you know a spot with nice sized boulders that can provide food for baitfish, thats a great spot too. in these areas you may find more than one resident large pike laying in ambush. fish every boulder from a distance. me? i use spinner baits this time of year for this. hope this helps

I caught a 45 inch 22 pound norlean at the mapco gravel pits on a marty bobber on saterday night. Probably a fluke though because the dnr and others say theres 0, and i mean zero fish in there but i know thats false becasuse ive caught Bullheads, Carp, Norleans(1 Norlean), In there now. We were going down there to fish for carp but my buddy suggested I throw my martys in there that I had been using out on Tonka earlyer that day, Sure nuff 1st cast i caught a duece duece. Ive been down there every day since without so much as a bite though other then bullheads on my martys bobbers. Had something decent on a shallow raider but is shook loose.

I caught a 45 inch 22 pound norlean at the mapco gravel pits on a marty bobber on saterday night. Probably a fluke though because the dnr and others say theres 0, and i mean zero fish in there but i know thats false becasuse ive caught Bullheads, Carp, Norleans(1 Norlean), In there now. We were going down there to fish for carp but my buddy suggested I throw my martys in there that I had been using out on Tonka earlyer that day, Sure nuff 1st cast i caught a duece duece. Ive been down there every day since without so much as a bite though other then bullheads on my martys bobbers. Had something decent on a shallow raider but is shook loose.

I reckon you must be new here skeezer, welcome.

I have never been to New Orleans.

Anyway, what is a Marty Bobber? Are you in the metro area and if so, where is this afforementioned gravel pit?

Sincerely

-Minner