• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New to goose hunting

Never hunted geese before. Won a new shotgun at a banquet this winter that I want to use. It is a BPS that was supposed to be a turkey gun but has a 28" barrel. It also has a super full turkey choke that I know has to go. My question is, what choke do I get for this gun and what do I use for shells?

The range you are going to be shooting most of your geese at will determine the choke you need. I would suggest modified or improved modified if you're hunting decoys and occasionally pass shooting. 3" BBB, BB, 1, or 2 shot are your best bets for shot size, and I would recommend patterning your gun and choke with various brands of shells until you find the best combination.

Don I use a full choke and a modified choke, mine are fixed so I have 2 guns. My full choke is on a 30" barrel and my modified is on a 28" barrel, both have taken their share of ducks and geese. I shoot for geese 3" BB and will use 2 shot as well and for ducks I use 2 shot

Wade

I have had really good luck with improved modified(carlson). I have not bought a box of shells bigger than 2's for a long time. found some 3.5" 3's 1*1/8 oz of charge a couple years ago that puts a major hurt on geese and ducks. 1650 FPS made by kent