• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What constitutes a "True" hunter?

Scouter

I agree with PDOGG statements about guiding. I really want to hunt Caribou at some point in my life. I don't have the time to travel to Canada to scout, pattern herds, etc. I will hire an ethical guide who will assist me in my Caribou dream.

If the roles were reversed and this guide wanted to hunt pheasants in North Dakota where I have been hunting the last 5 years, I would be able to take him to the spots I have found through experience depending upon conditions just as he did for me.

A true hunter uses the resources alotted to him/her, is ethical, supports conservation, enjoys his/her surroundings, introduces other to new experiences, and takes the desired wild animal with an admiration and appreciation for that animal.

i think the anyone saying that if you go on a guided hunt you are not a hunter. Well maybe he has never went on one to see that it is truly a hunt. a lot of self rightous people on this

sight. Why dont you worry if you are a hunter or not and leave it at that. I dont care how hard someone worked for a deer, we all have worked hard, we just dont sit here and tell everyone how great we are and we are the only ones consider hunters. Go on a guided hunt out west, when you get done after 5 days and are totally wiped out, learned a thing or two about hunting, alot of things you learn on a guided hunt

i never thought about before, but you do help spot and the stalk is pretty much of to the guy with the gun. Self righteous people p_ss me off more than anyone. the pheasant game farm, I am one of them and I go whenever i get invited,

its a blast, great for training young dogs and improving shooting skills for young hunters. I will tell all the guys i know that go on guided hunts they are not hunters, believe it or not most will say who cares, lifes to short to cares and all you true hunters dont break your arm patting yourselves on your backs this hunting season. See you on the game farm or maybe not. If you have the chance gotta try then give your opinion.

I'm with you southwest. I've hunted pheasants on a game farm a few times when invited. Is it the same as wild bird hunting? No not really. Is it still hunting? Yes I don't particularly enjoy pheasant hunting, but to go to a game farm every couple of years I enjoy. Would I want to pay for it myself? No Would I want to pay the money to go hunt deer in a fenced in area? No

I agree that everybody's idea of a "true" hunter undoubtedly varies, but if it's legal & not dangerous it needs to be okay. There's just going to be hunters you want to hunt with & others you don't based on styles & preferences.

A hunter is my Uncle, the one that taught me how to hunt some 40 years ago, How to read the woods, smell the smells, Wait for the best shot for a clean kill, how to track a wounded animal even if it takes you 3 days because I missed my mark. How to sit and enjoy the moment even if it;s the old hollow stump when nature calls. How to respect the land and most importantly, How to pass this along.

Hunting is such a personal thing. Some only bow hunt, others muzzleloader. Some only birds some only big game. Some only hunt on their own land, some all over the world. Hunting is about making a connection with nature. Some would add making a connection with other hunters. Hunting is a true human endevour, and those who don't are not living up to their fullest potential. So hunting cannot be about the kill, but it is about the opportunity for the kill.

Our government and customs decide what is legal and ethical. For any of us to debate what doesn't effect us personally is a disservice to all hunters.

Let's keep it simple take a kid or a parent or grandparent with you and please be safe and have fun!

We all have our own opinions and points of view (pov) and how each of us defines a "true hunter" is just that.....a personal opinion/pov. Doesn't make what each of us says right or wrong, fact or fiction. We all have our own opinions and pov's and none of them define us as "righteous" or not. There is no set definition for a "true hunter" and so opinions and pov's are all that can be offered.

There's no need to get too worked up about someone simply having a different opinion or point of view. Your comment of this site having a lot of righteous people on it is just another personal opinion/pov. Doesn't mean you're right.....doesn't mean you're wrong. Just means that's how you view it.

So I hope people don't take what I said to heart. What I've written about being a "true hunter" is simply my opinion/pov. You have yours, I have mine....and that's all it means.

I dont think i am the only one that feels this way, opinion's

may very but there are quite a few that go and on how much

of a conservationist they, what great eithics they have and

most people on here dont care, why bring it up, such a big ego

that they have to be stroked even on a fishing/hunting HSOforum? just my opinion.

Because that's a part of what this site is for. Sharing information, experiences, thoughts, opinions, etc. We all have our own opinions, pov's and outdoor practices, but nobody is required to take them on and apply them to their own outdoor experiences (except of course what is required by law).

People like to share with others what they do, how they did, etc. There's no wrong in that. Fishing/hunting websites are great places to share that type of info. Someone may take something away from what others have shared. And if topics like "what constitutes a true hunter" comes up, it's just a topic for discussion. Something to talk about.

If you don't care to read what certain people have to say, then just make a mental list of who they are and skip over their posts. Or simply ignore a post/thread in its entirety. Why put yourself through reading things that just p_ss you off? (rhetorical question there) Just a few thoughts/suggestions.