• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lowrance x510c freezes up

ellroy2

Question

Had a x510c put on the boat last year. It worked great all last year, but this spring it started to freeze up on a consistant basis. I have heard about problems in shallow water but this happens even in water 20' and plus. In that deep of water, the graph will suddenly freeze and flash, reading usually like a depth of 3' or something. Sometimes this lasts for minutes. There really seems to be no pattern. The only thing I would maybe say is that it happens more when we are just drifting or going really slow. This issue was mentioned to the marine that the unit was bought and installed and their response was that all depth finders freeze up at times. This is not an occassional freeze as I have experienced with other graphs. Any thoughts?

6 answers to this question

The problem you're describing can sometimes be caused by a bad transducer, although normally they last longer than a year. I'd check the transducer mounting to make sure the height and angle is correct, and if it keeps happening consider trying a new transducer.

Or, if it's still under warranty, send it to Lowrance to make sure you get it fixed while the warranty is still there.

I've been a Lowrance user for a long time now but I've been reading about more and more problems with them. Is it that more people have them? Or has their quality control gone down hill? Seriously considering a Hummingbird for my next purchase.

I have had the same concerns so I decided to try another brand after my Lowrance bit the dust. I went to Garmin, Hummingbird was in strong contention I dont think you would be wrong giving Hummingbird a shot. Look into Garmin and the features they offer. Each company offers their own unique features, they give you a choice on what you may like in a fish finder.

The issues with Lowrance units reading in thick weeds is with their gps/sonar combo units. The 510 is a sonar only and I haven't heard of any problems with them, so I think ellroy2's problem is something different.

I think the main reason you hear of so many problems with Lowrance is because of the sheer number of them out there. Even though a lot more Humminbirds and Garmins are being sold the last few years, I just saw something the other day that said Lowrance STILL has 60% of the market. And if you go back a few years it was much higher.

There certainly are guys having legit problems with their Lowrance combo units in weeds or shallow water, but other than that I think Lowrance's huge presence in the market is why you hear of so many problems with them compared to the others. I know of a few guys that had some problems with their Humminbirds this year .... not the same problems as Lowrance but problems nonetheless. I think it's pretty much the nature of the beast, given these sensitive and sophisticated electronics that are bouncing around on boat trailers and over waves. My opinion is that whether you go with Lowrance, Hmmminbird or Garmin, you really can't make a bad choice.

The issues with Lowrance units reading in thick weeds is with their gps/sonar combo units. The 510 is a sonar only and I haven't heard of any problems with them, so I think ellroy2's problem is something different.

I have a 510c PJ and have the same issues as many others. I had a new one last fall that was terrible. It wouldn't accurately read the depth in 10 feet or less with weeds and it kept losing bottom, sometimes even when I was out deeper. A brand new transducer didn't help. A trip to the factory for a softgrade upgrade didn't help either. Finally Lowrance sent me a new, complete unit and this one works a little better. It still doesn't show weeds like my old x70A used to, but at least the sonar punches through the weeds now and gives me an accurate depth. It still loses bottom occasionally and the depth will just sit and blink some depth that you know isn't right, but I just reset it and it works again. Yeah..it's frustrating to say the least. I'm definitely looking at a Garmin next time.

And no, I don't think it has to do with the sheer number of units out there. I think it has to do with the fact that Lowrance units no longer say, "Made in the USA" anymore.