• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How long do you plan on targeting cats?

DTro

Wow, this recent cool down has my mind wandering to things other than Cats.

Walleye, Sturgeon, Pheasant, Duck, Grouse, Musky grin

Normally I wrap er up for cats in the early part of Oct.

For some reason I find it easier to pitch jigs, troll cranks or walk through the woods when its 40 degrees then kicked back watching frost form on the bullhead bucket.

Next BP League Night and that will be it. And if its anything like the Sept night last year, I might not see 1am.

Anybody remember back in June when you had a bad night (bad night in June is catching less than 4 flats) and said in another month, we'll kill to have a night like this. wink

Ahhhhh... the good ole days. grin

I will multi species fish now until it just gets to cold to sit out at nights. I havent been out in almost a week, but the fish have been biting so I will be getting out in the next couple of days for cats. I will be going out tonight to get bait, although the creek water is starting to get a little cold to be walking in!

Be ready for fog on these late season excursions. The Croix can be filled bluff to bluff in an hour. Before Gps, I used to navigate by finding a known light in the distance, watching my depthfinder and speed, and timing my course until the next known light was visable.

I remember many nights when I posted a friend on the bow to look but mostly listen for other boats because the windshield, even with a wiper, would not stay clear.

Heading upriver after second shift on a dewey night has left me with indelible images of swirling pilars of fog rolling off the gunnal like the vortices following paddle strokes in water. I remember the fog disapearing into the darkness above just like the water tornados trailing off behind a canoe except the fog swirls were massive.

If you can find the wintering holes,these late night trips into the abyss are worth the risk. The best fishing of the year is still ahead-just be safe. Hans

Why stop cats through the ice is fun too.

You got that right!

There just hits a point during the open water season where you're better off switching to other species of fish. When the river eyes are biting good, its easy to forget about cats.

Next Friday probably will be my last one. Depends on how the weather holds. If it cools off quick.... time to shift gears.

I lied.......

I'll be cattin this weekend and next Friday for league.

Kinda kicking myself.......Just finally figured out a couple key variables that have been overlooked recently.

Time to bag a few oinkers. They are HOT right now.

Quote:
Time to bag a few oinkers. They are HOT right now.

I thought we kinda had 'em figured out, but not to sure now. In 5 straight outings starting from the last Moore's contest up to last friday we had put 13 flats in the boat with 5 going over 20. Nothing over 30 lbs though. Live bullies, suckers, and creek chub all caught fish, but cutbait( creek chub, sucker, and shad) had out produced live 8 to 5.

Then I fished Saturday, Sunday, and Tuesday and only caught channels. I've also been spending most(but not all)of my time on the Mississippi instead of the usual Minnesota.

Geesh! I've been skunked on my last 5 outings when going for flats.....Good to hear someone's having luck. It's getting incredibly frustrating. I've switched up presentations, locations and time and still nothing. My Muskie Box is barking at me from neglect.