• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Maintenance stuff.....

cjac

Hey all,

It's a good time as we enter the 2nd half of muskie season to do some maintenance stuff......

Line: Check your line, peel off 10-20 feet or so and feel it, you'll be surprised at the wear. Flip the line on the spool if it's been used a lot.

Knots: I know some leaders never come off a particular rod, but re-tie those knots. I do every time I get home, they fray, they have a tremendous amount of stress/torque on them with the heavier lures. Heck, I re-tie mid-day and after EVERY fish.

Reels: Good time to clean and lube as needed. I also back my drag off every time I get home, those drag washers can develop a memory.

Rods: Run a Q-tip thru all the guides, any snags mean a guide should be replaced.

Terminal tackle: Make sure any hooks that have been cut are replenished. Stinks to have a hot lure and no hooks that component up well to it. Hook sharpener..... $4 at the local hardware store. Best $4 you'll ever spend. Make sure you're covered on leaders, split rings, etc.

Boat: Time to clean it out, and ensure necessities for late season fishing are covered. Check oil levels on the 4-strokes and direct injects, plugs, etc. Jumper cables aren't a bad idea either. CLean all battery connections too, easy to do, easy to ignore, but well worth the time. First aid kit, a cut on a cold day will not stop bleeding, trust me on this one. A Knipex too if a hook goes really bad.....

Trailer: Bearing grease, lights, tire pressure, spare, etc. Simple maintence stuff that's often ignored but can be a trip-killer.

Tow vehicle: Same stuff, you know the drill.

I hope this doesn't sound elementary, but if it saves one person from a trip gone bad, then I'll be happy.

Good luck to all as we enter the fun Fall season!

I will second the cut on the finger on a cold day. I never thought it was going to stop bleeding....After two hours of continuous bleeding, I finally had to quit fishing and get to the truck to get the electrical tape smile

Wait til you slip an take a chunk out of your knuckle while gutting a deer!!! Thought I might bleed out before it stopped!!

Really sound advice Cjac! Some simple things, but like you said, the simple things get overlooked much to easily!

Good post Chris -

Super Glue is a great way to close a cut and help with bleeding. I definitely think its time to flip line on the reels. I typically use Hot Sauce to lube the reels - I haven't fished late in the fall so I'm wondering if there's a better oil for cold weather.

Thanks - erik

Well, it seems a few can relate to the cut problem!

A simple 1st Aid kit, even a $5 box of assorted band-aids, can save time spent trying to stop a cut, which translates to fishing time lost. Plus, blood on the cork handle, the boat, the expensive outer wear worn in the Fall.....it's a simple thing that can make a day a lot better! Yes, the Super Glue trick works too.....done that one as well.

I do have a pair of the Musky Armor gloves, never used them though. Might consider them in the fall as I hopefully handle a few fish.

I was going to second hugobox on the superglue, there is also a product that I think is basically called skin glu, burns like a $%^& but closes up deep cuts

New Skin is what it's called. Good stuff!

Aaron

What about changing out snaps on your leader? All the pros say to change it when it gets discolored... I've done it once this year, not sure how important it is - just don't want to lose a fish that way!

I hate to sound so much like a dad, but don't forget the kill switch and PFD especially if you're alone. The water will get chilly pretty quick and there are less people out each day to help you out if you get into a jam. 60 degree water is awfully cold, especially when you don't plan on going in.

-good luck - erik

Very good post Cjac!

Very sound advice from others also!

I know Cjac covered plugs, but I just change them this time of year. It seems cold weather and water can foul out a plug that has been used all summer. If anything make sure a spare set is on board.

Something I ran into today was corrosion that had formed from a full summer use on my trolling motor battery terminals. Good idea to clean all battery connections.

Also I carry a bottle of Isopropyl/Heat with when fishing in cold temps. Funny how moisture can build up in a boats fuel system during very cold temps.

Good luck guys! Catch some skies, keep sharing the great info you guys do in this forum and share the pics! smile

Quote:
Something I ran into today was corrosion that had formed from a full summer use on my trolling motor battery terminals. Good idea to clean all battery connections.

Put some dielectric on the terminals too, that'll help ensure a good connection!

Just did my plugs yesterday too! Dielectric in those as well.....

Quote:
Put some dielectric on the terminals too, that'll help ensure a good connection!

Great point Cjac!

Funny thing is early last spring I did put some dielectric grease on the terms (I am a dielectric junky grin) and still got a small amount of corrosion build up during the summer. I will add though, the copper terms I put on for my starting and rear acc. batteries had no corrosion at all, only my front trolling motor battery terms. My front acc. battery/back up trolling motor battery had nothing, but only runs the head lights and running lights. Could be just the amount of draw going threw the little connections for the trolling motor, but the first year I have noticed this at any time.

Rods: Run a Q-tip thru all the guides, any snags mean a guide should be replaced.

Cjac and all - do you clean the guides with anything. I'm taking some time this week to tune the gear up a bit and figured I'd be thurrough. Also, somehow I bent the handle on a 7000 so I gotta try to figure out how to get it right.

Originally Posted By: cjac

Cjac and all - do you clean the guides with anything. I'm taking some time this week to tune the gear up a bit and figured I'd be thurrough. Also, somehow I bent the handle on a 7000 so I gotta try to figure out how to get it right.

It's a full moon, why aren't you out here!!!!??? :-P

-JR

JR I would be out there if someone offered me a seat... gotta wait til 2009 when my boat's all done... then... no worries...

Hugobox... how the HECK do you bend a handle on a 7000??? just take it off, put it on an advil or a vise and pound it straight... just do it gently... wrapping it in a towel or something would be smart... to prevent stratches or hammer marks...

Originally Posted By: HugoBox
Originally Posted By: cjac

It's a full moon, why aren't you out here!!!!??? :-P

-JR

Jeff -

I think the Mrs. may have finally hit the musky wall. You met my kids - they've been driving her nuts so I think I'm going to lay low for a few days to try keep mama happy before she becomes a duck and musky widow!! smile

Larry - Not sure how I messed it up - I could blame a big fish, but more likely my fat arse stepped on it or something. I figured out last night that the nut holding it on was messed up and crooked - fixed now - I hope...

-erik

What about changing out snaps on your leader? All the pros say to change it when it gets discolored... I've done it once this year, not sure how important it is - just don't want to lose a fish that way!

I had two break on Sunday, I change them monthly. However, I fish a lot and change baits even more...

I've not cleaned the guides, but I'd use a mild solution to do so, nothing too strong that could eat at the finish on the guide mounts.

Probably not an issue, but I'd rather not experiment and find out the hard way.....

Always fun managing the fishing and family schedules without pressing the gas pedal too hard on the fishing side!