• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ideas for MEA weekend (Oct 16th to 19th)

FishingPops

Hi all,

My wife is a teacher and is off for MEA weekend Oct 16th to 19th. We are thinking about finding a rental place in northern MN for that weekend on a lake with a chance to catch some walleye and perch. I have only had a boat for a couple years and haven't had really tried fall fishing a whole lot so I don't really know where to go. We are thinking Leech Lake since we have never been there. Is that a good choice? If so, what side of the lake should we try to find a place.

Any other lakes we should be looking at in that area or other areas? We just stayed at Cass for the first time in August and had a great time there but we want to try something new.

PS-Dock fishing would be a plus as my oldest kids are 9 & 11 and don't always want to go out in the boat.

Thanks for all ideas smile

FishingPops

Leech or Winni would be a good bet if you already did Cass, Mille Lacs is closer to home for you as well.

Great time of year to be fishing, and if you are a hunter or nature lover you can have a lot of fun in the woods that time of year.

There are some really awesome places to stay on this list. They will put you on fish for sure. FishingMinnesota Resorts

Leech, Winnie and Mille Lacs are great lakes for fall fishing, but can blow up big time if the weather doesn't cooperate. My recommendation would be something in the Ely area. Big Lake on the Echo Trail is a nice spot and will fill the bill for walleyes and the setting is perfect for a couples get away. Birch, Farm and White Iron are also good lakes in the same area. Incidentally, a trip to Big Lake is about the only way I get the wife to go on a fishing trip.

Well I'll be on the Cass chain over MEA. But lots of good suggestions thus far. Since you said walleyes and perch I'd recommend Leech, Winnie and Cass. Some good panfish option there too.

You may want to consider smaller water unless you have the right boat. It is likely going to be cold(er) and the big water can get a bit rough unless you're rigged for it in terms of both the boat and the clothing. The kids likely won't have the correct clothing and also may not be interested in the 3-4 hour times you probably would want to put in if you were on the big water.

I bring the laptop (for movies of course), sweatshirts, jackets and food. At 4 and 6 yrs old, as long as they have a movie, Mom and Dad can fish! Thats what I call 'rigged' laugh kids happy! smile

I also vote for Cass, Leech, Winnie and M Lacs for MEA weekend. And I will toss in Gull lake.

I guess that the one thing I may do is to check on the ability to find a resort that is still open or a town that would be of interest and then work out from there. I've been on Lake Roosevelt near Emily and Spider Lake in Itasca County and found both to be nice bodies of water. Too long ago to give an accurate fishing report.

I'd strongly suggest heading up to Ely. There are so many options up there for all species of fish, in big, medium to small water. If the sea's are calm, you can hit vermilion or burntside lakes. If the sea's are angry, you can hit garden, fall, shagawa or a number of other smaller lakes. One thing to keep in mind around Ely is that some lakes have a 25 HP outboard limit. Also, some lakes require a BWCA permit to enter (moose). Either way, you'll find fish, find relaxation and a great time. I'm 32 and have been going up to Ely 2 or so times per year since I was 5 or 6 years old. A Great tradition to start!

Thanks for all the ideas so far! I think with all the good reports from Leech we are leaning that way. It is more of a family weekend with some fishing than mainly a fishing weekend so I think LOW/Rainy are out of the area. I am intrigued by the suggestion of smaller lakes. Any specific ideas?

I found a couple of rentals over by Federal Dam. Is that area close to good fishing?

Thanks smile

FishingPops

Just remember waterfowl season will be in full swing. Fishing will be good and it can get cold and windy. I personally don't like to go real far on leech in a rig less than 18 ft. Weather can change pretty fast. My hunting rig is 19 ft. I have been in swells that came up out of nowhere and the horizon dissapeared. Not fun. Be carefull.