Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
swedishpimple

Wet Ride in a 2050 Sportfish

6 posts in this topic

I was up to Kabetogema over the weekend and got drenched everythime we went out in a borrowed 2050 Crestliner Sportfish.

The top was up snapped and zipped shut, the waves were typical whitecaps but nothing to keep anybody off the lake.

The hull provided a smooth ride but drenched us with spray.

Is this the norm for a 2001 Model hull??

I have an duck hunting partner that dumped his Phantom to go back to a smaller Tyee. He logs many hours on LOW and said he has getting drenched too.

I am looking for a 20' boat for big and small water. I am thinking about the Alaskan. Any info on a dry riding aluminum 20' boat???

IMHO, and in my experience with up to 18' alum boats (I am an alum fan, BTW) if there is wind and big waves, you will most likely get wet. If there are big waves but not as high wind speeds, you will stay dry. The alum boats just don't/can't get that spray away as good as glass boats, and that it what makes you wet, when the wind whips that spray all over.

You can minimize it pretty good with driving skills, but in the end, you will get wet smile We do, and we have been driving for many moons, currently in 18' with 150. Best way to avoid it is to go faster, but if waves are too big that just isn't possible.

Good luck,

It takes SPEED to get you away from the water that the boat throws to the side , most guys say glass boats are drier , but in my experience tin or glass you need the speed.

I have a 2001 1850 & 2050 sportfish and the 1850 is a bit wet, but the 2050 is a very dry riding boat IMO. They both have some HP on them. The 1850 is maxed with a 175 and the 2050 is over the rating with a 225 H.O. Etec, both boat get up and move so this might have something to do with a dryer ride. I guess if they were plowing then it would be a different story.

In my Trophy 180, its a very dry ride. I am yet to go home wet from large waves on a lake.

*Keep the bow up.

*Tack. (yes like a sail boat)

*Don't drive sideways.

I will also agree on speed. Go 'fast enough'.

My father in law runs an 1850 (new last year) and had an early 2000 model prior, we go up to the "big water" of LOTW & Millacs a few times a year. I love both rigs but can say that the old one did not have a duel windsheild and it was a wet ride. The new one has a full windsheild and it makes all the difference in the world. The full sheild w/the center glass & wrap around sides makes for dry running.