• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Doe or Buck?

deerminator

Long time reader, first time poster. Thought I would ask a question in my first post about meat or horn huntin. I am in a lottery area this year and won't get much of a chance to hunt outside of it, so I can take one deer total. I've been seeing some nice big does I will likely have a shot at early on but if I wait til later on, I might be able to plug a nice buck too. That's an awful big might, though. I'm thinking of going for the sure thing early if I can.

Any other hunters in the same predicament, although it be a good one to be in?

First, Welcome to FM/HSO.

Your asking a question only you can decide on. I guess it might depend on how bad you want some venison to eat. If your looking for meat, I would pull the trigger on the first good shot you have. If you have harvested many others and really don't care about the meat, then I would hold out for a maybe.

As others have done, welcome to the web page. Great to have you with us, I cant wait to read of your success story.

As for the answer of your question... Only you can answer that. I am by no means, a "trophy" hunter. I would love to harvest a nice buck some day. But in the mean time, I have no problem at all harvesting doe. They are as good a trophy on the grill than anything. I do my best to not shoot spikes, and buck fawns, and early season(archery) I do my best to not take a doe that has fawns with it. Later in the season, once they have grown, I will take a doe with a fawn.

Welcome again one thing you need to think about the pressure. If it is heavy pressure and just seeing deer during the season might be tough then shooting a nice doe might be a good option, but if your alone out there you have plenty of time to think about it. There are a number of factors that you need to think about. Myself im in a area that has a good amount of pressure, but i am lucky enough to go gun hunting up north where we seem some bucks so im gonna wait for a nicer deer to come by

You also have to decide how much you want to HUNT. If you are okay with only being out for a few days, or even weeks then by all means take the first doe you can. Personally I would go nuts knowing I can't go back till gun season rolled around, but that's just me. You have to decide what's best for you.

Welcome! Good luck.

Thanks for the replies and welcome guys. I wasn't asking you to help me decide but rather wondering how many of you have to make that choice this year, what you're planning to do and the reason behind it.

In my case, I will more than likely be done with the first deer I take, unless I move North to do some public land hunting in Managed areas. So I am torn but leaning toward the first good opp, doe or buck. I understand the sacrafice of being able to only take one deer and hope that within 3-5 years, we can move from lottery back to managed.

I will be taking the first adult deer that comes into range, if i am blessed to take a biggen first, then I will probably hang it up and get ready for ice fishing. If I arrow a nice anterless deer first then the chase is on for the antlered biggen.

Myself I am in a managed zone, so I have choices luckily.

If you are bowhunting, I'd take the first good shot opportunity you have on an adult deer. That's how I do it, not to say that's the best way for other people. That's the great thing about hunting, it's up to the individual to make the decision to shoot or not shoot. I know this year, I'll be saving my buck tag, unless a decent 8 or bigger walks by during bow season. My 10 year old daughter will be rifle hunting and wants to start her own "antler" collection. laugh I told her I'd save my buck tag unless something decent walks by.

Good Luck,

Brian

I hunt both managed and intensive areas so I will be shooting adult does and hopefully Mr. Big. My goal is a couple with the bow, couple with the rifle and a couple with the muzzy. I will also partake in the early doe season if the work schedule clears. I have a list of folks that want deer so hopefully I can supply them with some good eats.

Does and big boys for me. I can understand if you hunt in a low-density area and may need to take a small buck or risk coming home with nothing... but I can't see the point of shooting little bucks if you are hunting for meat (does taste better!).

My first archery buck was a 144 P&Y 10-pt, so for better or worse I'm ruined now.. Certainly can't go and shoot a little 6-pt now.

When I hit the woods, I'm looking to fill my freezer, and there are plenty of does where I hunt - the young bucks are quite safe.

I would rather eat a doe for a meal also but we have to remember its up to each hunter what they choose to harvest.

The size of the bucks we all choose to shoot depends on each hunter also. I have been very fortunate to have harvested numerous book bucks with both bow and gun but a nice 8 pointer at any time will be dropped if its within a good window to harvest.

Goos luck to all.

Deerminator...If you are in an area where you are confident of taking a deer, I would pass on the does, fawns, and small bucks, so that I could enjoy the whole season. Take a doe later on. If an 8 point 120"+ would walk by I would most likely throw an arrow at him and go fishing.

fishinmajishin, I'm thinking about that. The choice narrows down to mature doe early (if things work as planned) or "nice" buck later when the corn comes down. I think I may wait for the buck but start hunting hard/more frequently the end of October and November til gun season. After gun season its usually all bets off for awhile here. When I started five years ago, the all season was in effect and I could take up to three, so I didn't have this quandry. But its a good one to have and I am fortunate. Regardless of what happens, I'll be happy if I have Venison in the freezer by December's end.

I love it when people say does taste better! crazy Maybe a 1 1/2 year old doe vs a 5 1/2 year old buck. Been eating venison for forty years and I've never been able to tell the difference between a 1 1/2 year old doe vs a 1 1/2 year old buck.

Other than that I'd say shoot whatever you want to shoot.

I would love to see a book buck when I am archery hunting, I see them on the camera but just cant get my timing right. I love to take does and have let numerous young bucks pass waiting for a biggun. I will take a good 8 if I get the chance, but would love a monster. and does do taste better

anyone notice how different the venison tastes even from region to region. where i hunt is 1/2 agricultural, 1/2 wooded, meadow, riverbottom. 30 miles north to my fiance's hunting land is 100% wooded, forest. requardless of sex or age, you can tell the difference in flavor from where i hunt to where the fiance hunts.

also, bucks taken early taste just like does. until they get juiced up and start rutting anyways, then a doe is more palatable and tender.