• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Help...Hit a rock with boat

Lammboy

HI everyone,

I hit a rock at Mille Lacs this past weekend with my boat. I know for sure I broke the skeg and damaged my prop. Here is what happened.

I was going about 25 mph around spider island (not sure on name of island) and I was being very careful looking for buoys and what not. Well I was following a boat and saw a buoy to my left but didnt see the buoy to the right. I went over the reef and it hit my motor. We stopped as it shut off the engine. After looking at the motor the fin was broken and my prop was very dinged up. I started the motor just fine but it wouldn't engage in gear so we had to be towed off.

I'm assuming my lower unit is toast? I've never had this happen and was just curious what I will need to do with insurance and everything. Thanks.

You'll need to take it into a dealer and have an estimate completed for insurance and submit it to them.

At a minimum your lower unit will need to be rebuilt, at the most it will need a full replacement.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune! At least it happened toward the end of the boating season...

marine_man

General question, what do most people set up as their deductible? Would it be wise to temper your deductible based on where you do most of your boating, that is, have a higher deductible if all you do is puddle jump sand and muck lakes, versus fishing Big V or the Minnesota River? I know premiums play into arranging a deductible, but I thought the terrain might make a difference too.

I know there is probably a wide range of answers for this but as I look into buying my first "real" fishing boat next year I would like to know what to look for in insurance. I will look for some old threads too...

Do your deductable by what you can afford. If you are doing a lot of low water boating, then get a lower deductable.

Lammboy, call your insurance first. I did that and just took to a place of my choice. They cut them a check minus the deductable and had it back in a week.