• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

using on board charger in winter

aquafang

I usually leave mine plugged in all winter long too. Either that or I bring the batteries in the house and just check and charge them periodically.

Some guys don't like leaving their chargers plugged in all winter long. They leave their batteries in their boat and plug in their charger periodically. But I think most of the chargers are designed so they can be left plugged in all winter long.

I leave mine plugged in all winter too, but be careful that you don't have anything drawing power all winter. My trolling motor got switched on and even though the power was cranked down to zero and the blade never turned it still burned up the trolling motor and batteries. Anything plastic in the trolling motor foot switch or in the motor itself melting including the insulation on the wires. The trolling motor also melted a hole in the tarp we use to cover the boat. So now we make sure the tolling motor is unplugged before we store the boat. I do think that batteries last better if you leave the charger plugged in all winter.

I would just pull the batteries and put them in your basement, if it is a concrete floor put a 2x6 under them. Make sure you put a good charge on them before you put them down there. You will have no problems, my dad has been doing that with his batteries for years and no issues.