• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lump on 5 YO Yellow Lab Right Rib Cage?

Outdoorswife

I am very worried about my loving dog. My husband and I just found a lump, quite large in size, on the right-hand side of our yellow lab's rib cage. It is quite firm, and doesn't appear to be a "fatty tumor" that I have read about on many vet sites.

We are going to so our best to bring her in to the vet tomorrow afternoon, but there is no way I will be able to rest my mind until I have a better feel for what is going on with my baby....

Please let me know if you have run into this before and what you have had for results? Thank you.

Had a springer as a child that developed a lump along the ribs when she was 3 or 4, turned out to be a non cancerous tumor, never bothered the dog at all the rest of her life. Gonna cross the fingers here, only other thought I would have is if the dog somehow got injured and has a cyst or hematoma there, but I would think that would have to be a pretty serious blow to cause that. Keep us updated

Get the dog into the vet. It could be a cyst from a seed working it's way into the dog body and if that is what it is you will want to get it removed asasp. Seeds from plants like foxtails can get lodged in the skin, toes, nose, mouth, and can migrate into the body toward vital organs. If that were to happen it is not good.

It could be a tumor of some sort....or something entirely different.

Let us know what you find out.

Thank you for your thoughts. She ended up being just fine. It is a fatty tumor - they aspirated it and found fat cells in the lump. I guess that it is something that we need to watch - as they can become cancerous, but she is just fine and healthy as can be! She will be hunting this fall and already has her nose working overtime! Thank you all again!