Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Big Tom

The Abortion Card - I Hope Not

16 posts in this topic

First let me say the things that are happening in Sarah Palin's family have happened to a lot of us.

I am the product of a union between two people who were never married. My life would have been considerably different if put up for adoption and would have been considerably shorter had I been aborted.

My wife and I lost a child with Trisomy 13.

I celebrate the choices that the Palin family have made.

So I come with this question with a heavy heart.

Has some part of me grown so cynical that I question the motivations of this surprising selection of a fine woman because she made the choice to give life to her Down's Syndrome child of 4 months and because her 17 year old daughter that is 5 months pregnant will give life to her child.

Beyond her gender and her two year gubernatorial resume and valuable service as mayor and city council member in Wasilla, I wonder why this choice?

The articles I read today said that while Mrs. Palin was nothing less than up front from the beginning, they already knew about Bristol's condition from their vetting process??? I don't want to know.

The ability to produce children is one of our greatest powers. I am sorry to hear of your loss.

She has to be a strong woman inside.

I would think the same of Mrs. Palin.

The ability to produce children is one of our greatest powers. I am sorry to hear of your loss.

She has to be a strong woman inside.

I would think the same of Mrs. Palin.

And I would agree with you.

I feel less than good about myself for trying to see the bad here.

I agree with both of you. However, I really didn't see the need for this to be made public. This is a private family matter, not a news event.

...I feel less than good about myself for trying to see the bad here.

Don't beat yourself up. It is politics and most people question the motivations a lot of what those running for office do.

I am being optimistic that it isn't a case of using these elements of Palin's personal life for political gain. I am looking beyond that and looking towards each candidate's stance on the issues I personally consider important. Her 17 year-old's pregnancy isn't one for me. I view it as something that ins't any of my business and for her and her family to sort out.

I would have posted off of Fox News if there had been any story available, typical.

From Alexander Marquardt

CNN

MONROE, Michigan (CNN) -- Sen. Barack Obama said firmly that families are off-limits in the campaign for president, reacting to news that GOP running mate Sarah Palin's 17-year-old daughter is pregnant.

Sen. Barack Obama campaigns in Monroe, Michigan, on Monday.

"Let me be as clear as possible," Obama said. "I think people's families are off-limits, and people's children are especially off-limits. This shouldn't be part of our politics. It has no relevance to Gov. Palin's performance as governor or her potential performance as a vice president."

Obama said reporters should "back off these kinds of stories" and noted that he was born to an 18-year-old mother.

"How a family deals with issues and teenage children, that shouldn't be the topic of our politics, and I hope that anybody who is supporting me understands that's off-limits." Watch more of Obama's comments »

Bristol Palin, a senior in high school, is about five months pregnant, according to an aide to Sen. John McCain who asked not to be named.

The aide said the Palins and the McCain campaign decided to reveal the information now because of rampant Internet rumors that Sarah Palin's 4-month-old baby, who has Down syndrome, was actually Bristol's.

Obama became annoyed when asked about a Reuters news service report that quoted an unnamed senior McCain aide saying that Obama's name appears in liberal blogs speculating about Trig's parentage "in a way that certainly juxtaposes themselves against their 'campaign of change.' " Watch analysts weigh in on the Palins' announcement »

"I am offended by that statement," the Illinois senator retorted, not letting the reporter finish his question. "There is no evidence at all that any of this involved us.

"We don't go after people's families; we don't get them involved in the politics. It's not appropriate, and it's not relevant," he added. "Our people were not involved in any way in this, and they will not be. And if I ever thought that there was somebody in my campaign that was involved in something like that, they'd be fired."

I think if he is sincere Obama has shown some class and integrity to refrain from attacking an oponents family. Hopefully he is steadfast on this issue with his campaign associates.

I think if he is sincere Obama has shown some class and integrity to refrain from attacking an oponents family. Hopefully he is steadfast on this issue with his campaign associates.

I agree, that was a class statement from Obama.

I agree it's a non-news event. Too bad the media cannot police itself. By the way, are they scrutinizing Palin's family harder than they have Bidens family?

If any good comes of this it will be that her abstinence-until-marriage only viewpoint doesn't work with hormone infested teenagers. She is against sex-education programs, clinics, and the distribution of contraceptives in schools.

Let's see. I'm against lying and teach my children the same and yet I can assure you that my children have and probably will tell a lie from time to time. I am also against stealing, adultery, and covetousness but as sure as I'm typing this I must in all honesty admit that I have engaged in all of these at some point in my life or another.

If we are looking for the perfect human to represent us then I'm afraid we will never find a candidate. Dig deep enough into anyone's past and skeletons will be found.

Yeah, I know, in this society we place different weight on different offenses but in reality, one is as great as another.

Bob

If we are looking for the perfect human to represent us then I'm afraid we will never find a candidate. Dig deep enough into anyone's past and skeletons will be found.

I agree, making this a campaign issue is ridiculous. If someone wants to attack her qualifications then start talking about her political weaknesses and leave the innocent out of the discussion.

I agree with leaving family out of the mud slinging as long as they stay out of the lime light. It's my belief that since both wives have involved themseves by giving speeches they are fair game. But as far as kids, brothers, sisters, parents etc I say leave them out.

I agree with you black bay. First ladies are out there campaining. Children need to be left alone.

Originally Posted By: BobT

I agree, making this a campaign issue is ridiculous. If someone wants to attack her qualifications then start talking about her political weaknesses and leave the innocent out of the discussion.

I agree but it's funny and scary how quick the media spins this garbage into a presidential/VP issue, when they are taking the focus off of real issues....

I disagree with the mud-slinging altogether. I don't really care about one candidates feeling about another or what they can dig up about the other.

I wait for the day when I get to see a candidate stand on the platform and state, "I believe I am the better choice because..." and not have to listen to, "I believe my opponent is the poorer choice because...." like we do today.

Bob