• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Twin Cities Gun Shops

Hi Guys, first post on the waterfowl forum. I'm getting into shooting this fall with a friend and looking for advice on where to shop for a good deal on a good gun. Open to recommendations on shotguns, size, brand etc.

I've looked at Browning BPS, Remington 870's, etc. I grew up shooting an Ithaca Featherlight. (I think)

Oh, worth mentioning, i'm left handed so I need a lefty or bottom eject. I'd like to spend somewhere around $500. Or if anyone has any used items available, i'm interested.

Thanks

Jeff

My best advice is shop around. You never know where a good deal will turn up. Had a friend call me from Gander to tell me about a good deal he found. It wasn't a ridiculous deal, but it saved him 1-2 hundred bucks, which is or isn't a lot to some, but I should mention it was an autoloader.

Small shops might have some used lefties in great shape, or the big name shops may carry some guns. You'll want to find a gun and shoot it quickly so you can get some time in with the gun before the season opens.

I think based on your budget, a BPS or an 870 is a GREAT choice. With so many of those models on the market you shouldn't have much trouble finding a lefty. Contact a small shop and they might call around and find one for you.

I sure wish I hunted with a leftie...helps cover more air from the blind when you can swing both ways smile

Joe's is a good place to go and look. Most of the guys there are really good, but I have talked to a couple in recent years who couldn't answer a few questions on auto loader actions, so make sure you get a regular, not a new hire wink

Otherwise Gander in Forest Lake is good. Their gunsmiths have been helpful to me, and really nice. Lots of used guns there too. Not sure how far you want drive, but Reeds often has good deals, and all the shops/stores carry the same guns.

One thing I would do, if you get a wood stock, is to have them bring a pile of boxes out and pick the finsih you like the best. If you go synthetic (which is what I would do) then it doesn't matter, of course.

I am rightie, but I think I would get a BPS if a leftie. I am one of the few who have had problems with an 870 (Wingmaster even), but I still think there are the most reliable and either gun would be on my list. Good luck, and have fun shooting!

Thanks guys! (Note from admin,please read forum policy before posting again, thank-you.) Called around today and am visiting a few places tomorrow.

Found a BPS 12 gauge for $250 shipped on a HSOforum, if that works out, i'll be done shopping before I even started.

I think I still want to find an Ithaca 37 20gauge though, gun my grandpa had, what I shot as a kid.

-Jeff