Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
Fish On! Guide Service

ATV Plow

I have a 2008 Yamaha Grizzly 450 that I'm thinking about putting a snow plow on. I've searched the internet and found a myraid of plows available but I haven't been able to locate any first hand experience with these. I'm leaning towards the country style blade, 60" with a quick detach system, but I'm looking for advice from anyone with information such as products to avoid, pros and cons, any personal experience being good or bad, suggested brands, suggested modifications, anything at all that'll help with the purchase of this.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to your information.

FOGS

First, don't get one too big for the 450. I would suggest a 50-52 inch blade. The glacier plow is probably the easiest to connect and disconnect. The moose plow is made by cycle country, so they are one in the same. I have an American Eagle plow. It works good for the money. The glacier is better, but more expensive.

To be honest, I use my snowblower more often than the atv plow, but the atv plow is more fun.

Good response Roofer. I have a 450 foreman and a 660 rhino than I run a blade on, [50 in.] Both are fun, but don't do the job a blower does unless you have lots of room.

I had a 60" plow on my 400 and had no problems whatsoever. you'll run out of traction before ever running out of power, and I cleared a very large area. If you're doing a long straight driveway with ditches, the county plow will work great. anything else and I'd recommend a straight blade. because with a county, it only works to push one way. imho a straght blade is much more versatile especailly if you're doing any kind of open area as opposed to/in addition to a long driveway. I have the American Eagle plow on mine and love it.

I had a 60" American Eagle plow (standard)on my 06 sportsman 500 and had no isues with it. I have ow gone to the glacier plow only because I didn't want to have to custom mod the eagle plow to work with my tracks on.

I purchase my American Eagle form Snow Plows Plus in Buffalo, MN

As several others have said unless you have a long drive way a snow blower will do a better job. Plowing is just the "fun" way of doing it. I really only use my plow for clearing a spot for the icehouse and banking snow.

I've got a 1/4 mile long driveway and the 60" country style definitely gets the snow out into the ditch but I think the straight blade plow would have been more useful in the yard clean up.

I have a friend that has the same wheeler (Yamaha 450) He has a 60" plow and uses it with no problem. You will be glad you had the 60" when the snow comes. I have had an American Eagle County plow for 2 years, but I have broke it 7-8 times.Mostly from poor welds, but I also plow alot. I will be getting a Moose brand plow this year as I'm sick of fixing the American Eagle.

The plow is going to be used at the cabin where the entrance is roughly 1/4 mile long and the slope to the cabin is steep. I've seen an add-on to the plow that is called something like a "down-force assist" which is basically hyraulic arms connected to the machine and the plow and forces pressure down on the blade which allows you to better clean the road surface. Anyone use one of these? Btw, if a guy makes a sweep down the driveway with the plow turned one way, how hard is it to turn the plow the opposing direction when making the sweep back?

I have not had any issue with downforce on my ATV plow. That thing scrapes right to the asphalt.

Cant you just sweep the snow to the other side of the driveway on the way back up?

I just set my angle one direction and go to town. Its easy to adjust it either way, but I dont see why you would have to adjust it. You are going to want to disperse the snow to both sides of the driveway anyway, because if you get it all on one side, you will run out of room fast, due to the piling up.

I have the Artic Cat county plow on my 500. Love the plow but I keep on busting off the runners underneith the plow. Anyone have any ideas on how to make something stronger for the runners? The bolt to the pad is just not strong enough. Thanks. kooba.

REally, don't you have tons of rocks and gravel in your grass then? Doesn't it dig up quite a bit of grass also. I push a long way into my lawn to keep it open. I would think I would need these runners to prevent from tearing up the lawn and stuff. Just need some idea on how to build up the strength.

I leave my runners off also because they are a pain in the @$$. I get some rocks and sometimes cut into the grass, but usually if the ground is froze it's not a big issue. I'll drive my vehicles over the first couple of snows,unless it's to deep. This packs down the rocks and freezes them down fairly well. The rest of the winter I don't have to worry about rocks in the yard anymore.

Changing blade direction should be as easy as pulling a pin, moving the blade and replacing the pin.

I've also seen some hydraulic units that pivot the blade from one side to the other.

That said I agree with others that its best to just leave it. Make the first pass down the center, and then plow one side down, the other side back working your way from the center to the edges. Unless because of your steep grade your thinking of only plowing downhill?

the moose plow is the best out there. heavy duty built. i can push dirt with mine. they have a new quick disconnect avail, be careful, they lift so high you may need extra lights mounted higher for night plowing.cylce country plow is a cheaper version of the moose plow.

I've got the Glacier system on my X2 and love it. Never an issue with pushing snow, easy on and off, and easy switching blade direction. I didn't use the stops last year, but did put them back on and will try them this year. They just rattled off when I had them on, so I put them back on in the Spring so they could rust a little. I've got a 60" blade and usually put some weight in the dump box to help the traction. I plow a long driveway as well as a mile stretch of our private road.

My only complaint is that the mount that attaches to the underside of the ATV is pretty difficult to get on and off. So much so, that I usually just leave it on all year so I don't have to mess with it. Not a problem, but I give up some ground clearance with it on.