• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ATV Plow

Fish On! Guide Service

I have a 2008 Yamaha Grizzly 450 that I'm thinking about putting a snow plow on. I've searched the internet and found a myraid of plows available but I haven't been able to locate any first hand experience with these. I'm leaning towards the country style blade, 60" with a quick detach system, but I'm looking for advice from anyone with information such as products to avoid, pros and cons, any personal experience being good or bad, suggested brands, suggested modifications, anything at all that'll help with the purchase of this.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to your information.

FOGS

First, don't get one too big for the 450. I would suggest a 50-52 inch blade. The glacier plow is probably the easiest to connect and disconnect. The moose plow is made by cycle country, so they are one in the same. I have an American Eagle plow. It works good for the money. The glacier is better, but more expensive.

To be honest, I use my snowblower more often than the atv plow, but the atv plow is more fun.

I had a 60" plow on my 400 and had no problems whatsoever. you'll run out of traction before ever running out of power, and I cleared a very large area. If you're doing a long straight driveway with ditches, the county plow will work great. anything else and I'd recommend a straight blade. because with a county, it only works to push one way. imho a straght blade is much more versatile especailly if you're doing any kind of open area as opposed to/in addition to a long driveway. I have the American Eagle plow on mine and love it.

I had a 60" American Eagle plow (standard)on my 06 sportsman 500 and had no isues with it. I have ow gone to the glacier plow only because I didn't want to have to custom mod the eagle plow to work with my tracks on.

I purchase my American Eagle form Snow Plows Plus in Buffalo, MN

As several others have said unless you have a long drive way a snow blower will do a better job. Plowing is just the "fun" way of doing it. I really only use my plow for clearing a spot for the icehouse and banking snow.

I have a friend that has the same wheeler (Yamaha 450) He has a 60" plow and uses it with no problem. You will be glad you had the 60" when the snow comes. I have had an American Eagle County plow for 2 years, but I have broke it 7-8 times.Mostly from poor welds, but I also plow alot. I will be getting a Moose brand plow this year as I'm sick of fixing the American Eagle.

The plow is going to be used at the cabin where the entrance is roughly 1/4 mile long and the slope to the cabin is steep. I've seen an add-on to the plow that is called something like a "down-force assist" which is basically hyraulic arms connected to the machine and the plow and forces pressure down on the blade which allows you to better clean the road surface. Anyone use one of these? Btw, if a guy makes a sweep down the driveway with the plow turned one way, how hard is it to turn the plow the opposing direction when making the sweep back?

I have not had any issue with downforce on my ATV plow. That thing scrapes right to the asphalt.

Cant you just sweep the snow to the other side of the driveway on the way back up?

I just set my angle one direction and go to town. Its easy to adjust it either way, but I dont see why you would have to adjust it. You are going to want to disperse the snow to both sides of the driveway anyway, because if you get it all on one side, you will run out of room fast, due to the piling up.

I have the Artic Cat county plow on my 500. Love the plow but I keep on busting off the runners underneith the plow. Anyone have any ideas on how to make something stronger for the runners? The bolt to the pad is just not strong enough. Thanks. kooba.

REally, don't you have tons of rocks and gravel in your grass then? Doesn't it dig up quite a bit of grass also. I push a long way into my lawn to keep it open. I would think I would need these runners to prevent from tearing up the lawn and stuff. Just need some idea on how to build up the strength.

I leave my runners off also because they are a pain in the @$$. I get some rocks and sometimes cut into the grass, but usually if the ground is froze it's not a big issue. I'll drive my vehicles over the first couple of snows,unless it's to deep. This packs down the rocks and freezes them down fairly well. The rest of the winter I don't have to worry about rocks in the yard anymore.

Changing blade direction should be as easy as pulling a pin, moving the blade and replacing the pin.

I've also seen some hydraulic units that pivot the blade from one side to the other.

That said I agree with others that its best to just leave it. Make the first pass down the center, and then plow one side down, the other side back working your way from the center to the edges. Unless because of your steep grade your thinking of only plowing downhill?

the moose plow is the best out there. heavy duty built. i can push dirt with mine. they have a new quick disconnect avail, be careful, they lift so high you may need extra lights mounted higher for night plowing.cylce country plow is a cheaper version of the moose plow.

I've got the Glacier system on my X2 and love it. Never an issue with pushing snow, easy on and off, and easy switching blade direction. I didn't use the stops last year, but did put them back on and will try them this year. They just rattled off when I had them on, so I put them back on in the Spring so they could rust a little. I've got a 60" blade and usually put some weight in the dump box to help the traction. I plow a long driveway as well as a mile stretch of our private road.

My only complaint is that the mount that attaches to the underside of the ATV is pretty difficult to get on and off. So much so, that I usually just leave it on all year so I don't have to mess with it. Not a problem, but I give up some ground clearance with it on.