• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

First Bass Boat!

st.crioxfishin

Well, I bought my first ever bass boat today! I won't be able to use it much this year because of school now, but I can't wait for next year! It's a 1989 361V Ranger with a 175hp Evinrude. Definately a little older, but for a college kid I can't be too picky. It's actually in very good shape for an '89 and you have to start somewhere right!?:)

Here's a picture...

Reed3_small1.jpg

Congrats on the your new boat. Great looking rig, it will serve you well. You have at least 7-8 weeks of some of the best fishing of the year ahead of you. Make the best of it and then take all winter to make all your plans for the 1st full year with the blaster. A 20 year old Ranger? Thats not old, welcome to the Ranger owners fan club.

Awesome! Greatest feeling ever!

I have had my first bass boat for only a little over 2 years now. I started from shore in Iowa farm ponds, moved up to a 8ft plastic bass boat with a 2 horse evinrude, then up to a 16 ft Starcraft with 25 horse merc, graduated college and moved up to the 19.5 ft charger with 200 hp merc. Its truly a dream come true and the only thing that kept me going in all those dredfull collge years! (except for the partys)

Just two points of advice that I had to learn the hard way.

(1)Never assume you know where you are unless you have looked 3 different times at your paper map and electronic map. I have bent my prop shaft 3 differnt times! Mainly because I like to go to fast and assumed I knew where I was. Also the electronic maps dont show enough detail unless if you zoom way in, but then its too hard to navigate so use the paper map.

(2)Make sure you winterize all of your pumps correctly. I had to replace 2 of my livewell pumps after the first winter because I didnt realize that antifreeze wouldnt fill them by dumping it in the livewells. I now know to take the motors out of my pumps and blow out all of the water. And I also add antifreeze to the lines to be certain (eco safe of course).

Im sure there are many more things than these but these are the two that I had to learn the hard way!

Good luck out there.