Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
st.crioxfishin

First Bass Boat!

29 posts in this topic

Well, I bought my first ever bass boat today! I won't be able to use it much this year because of school now, but I can't wait for next year! It's a 1989 361V Ranger with a 175hp Evinrude. Definately a little older, but for a college kid I can't be too picky. It's actually in very good shape for an '89 and you have to start somewhere right!?:)

Here's a picture...

Reed3_small1.jpg

Congrats on the new boat! Must be killing you not being able to use it much. When I was in college, I would have been happy with a simple 16 ft aluminum w/ a 25hp ... so I'd say you are doing pretty good.

super pumped for ya man

good luck with staying focused

ike

Congrats on the new rig. I bought my first boat when I was in college too. Best thing about it is you actually have some time to use it them grin

Bob, thats wonderful, I remember the feeling of owning my first glass boat... Its awesome. I will you the best of luck with it, and I hope it brings many fish to the boat in the up coming years.

Congrats on the new rig! 361V's are great boats!

Nice rig! My first and current boat was bought during college. I'd say you picked up a nice rig! You've got a long winter ahead of you. wink

I spent my college years fishing from the banks of rivers wishing I had a boat.. Congrats

Congrats on the your new boat. Great looking rig, it will serve you well. You have at least 7-8 weeks of some of the best fishing of the year ahead of you. Make the best of it and then take all winter to make all your plans for the 1st full year with the blaster. A 20 year old Ranger? Thats not old, welcome to the Ranger owners fan club.

Very cool, Bob. Just remember - it ain't the boat, it's the fisherman.

Awesome! Greatest feeling ever!

I have had my first bass boat for only a little over 2 years now. I started from shore in Iowa farm ponds, moved up to a 8ft plastic bass boat with a 2 horse evinrude, then up to a 16 ft Starcraft with 25 horse merc, graduated college and moved up to the 19.5 ft charger with 200 hp merc. Its truly a dream come true and the only thing that kept me going in all those dredfull collge years! (except for the partys)

Just two points of advice that I had to learn the hard way.

(1)Never assume you know where you are unless you have looked 3 different times at your paper map and electronic map. I have bent my prop shaft 3 differnt times! Mainly because I like to go to fast and assumed I knew where I was. Also the electronic maps dont show enough detail unless if you zoom way in, but then its too hard to navigate so use the paper map.

(2)Make sure you winterize all of your pumps correctly. I had to replace 2 of my livewell pumps after the first winter because I didnt realize that antifreeze wouldnt fill them by dumping it in the livewells. I now know to take the motors out of my pumps and blow out all of the water. And I also add antifreeze to the lines to be certain (eco safe of course).

Im sure there are many more things than these but these are the two that I had to learn the hard way!

Good luck out there.

Congrats on the boat. My college days were spent on shore and wishing I could hit the water. Regardless if it is used or new, take care of it as if you just took it off the lot. Those Rangers hold their resale very well, treat her right!

You have a real nice first boat there. Good luck fishing out of it.

Congrats on the boat. I just got my first boat this year too, and it has been a blast!