• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Morson Fall Fishing Report

Had an interesting wind-burn weekend. Fished out front of Hanson Bay for an hour Friday night and came back with a limit of nice eater walleyes 16-17". Jig and Gulp in 15 feet.

Got out to the reefs northwest of Morson and did fantastic for two hours. Trolled spinners with grubs on top of the reefs in 8-12 feet - the biggest was 27" and caught a lot of nice 15 - 20 inchers. Also fished the reef drop-offs and at the bottom of them and only caught little guys and some smallies. After two hours the wind came and a majority of the crew wanted to fish sheltered areas. So we fished traditional Fall spots around Obabikon with jigs and Gulp, 15-20 feet, and did fairly well. A 25 incher was the biggest and some nice 15-17 inchers.

Too much wind for our crew Sunday, so we ventured (with many other boats) up to Miles Bay. We fished a few spots on the way there and caught about a fish per spot. In Miles Bay, we found some decent fish on some humps, current and points and did alright. Jig and minnows in 13 - 17 feet.

Went out for two hours Monday and ventured east of Morson. Caught some nice eater-sized fish, including a 21 incher for my 7 yr old. Jig and Gulp, humps, current, points, 12 - 17 feet.

Back up in three weeks! Saw lots of geese in the fields along 620 Friday night and in some back bays on the east/back side of Burrows Bay. Also saw Red Heads and some mallards in their usual spots.

Hey Shorleunch,

You must have a hardier crew than I had! We were up there 3 days and only fished 3 hours! But it was a great 3 hours, lots of keepers and the best fish of the summer, a FAT 27.5 incher for me! Fightingest walleye I have ever caught. I was SURE it was a pike unitl I saw it. And they were still on the reefs!

That was Saturday from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. After that, it was too windy for my all-female team. Then again, it was too windy for me, too.

Didn't fish at all on Sunday or Monday, stuck to tubing and swiming at beaches and cutting down trees.

It blew at least 15 mph and more often 2o mph from noon Saturday until we left Monday afternoon. Gusts were up to 41 mph (from Rosseau.) It was relentless.

This will indeed be known as the summer of wind. Hope it doesn't last into fall. I hate wind.

Didn't try for geese as expected, none were using the spots close to the cabin and I didn't feel like motoring north through that chop. I thik the problem is the lack of rice by us from the high water most of the summer. Last year at this time there were geese everywhere. Hmmm.

Heading back up on Tuesday for ducks!

Take car all.

Any new reports?

I'm heading up Tuesday morning. Will only fish after the ducks are hanging, but the weather looks to be warm and nice for some afternoon angling.

Any sign of fall movement yet?

Come on guys!!!

Fished on Friday and Saturday. Bite was tough for us. 4 of us ended up limiting out, but the biggest was 20". We finally found fish in 35-40 FOW!. The fish were off the reefs but not completely in their fall pattern yet.

IM going in a couple of weeks, and wondering about the fall algae bloom.

Is/was there a bloom this fall, and how bad is it?

I hate that that stuff. I know some don't seem to mind it, I think it makes

for tuff fishing.

Gas is not cheep and don't wont to have to run all over looking for

clear water.

Thanks

Just got back from an odd mid-week trip... wow, were there a TON of boats on trailers heading north on US 53 on Friday... unbelievable how fall fishing has caught on....

We only fished Thursday afternoon... found small fish in deep water near current... jigs with gulp and also frozen shiners... nothing big...

I think the fish are still moving as they are being caught in lots of different depths and places...

The algae bloom just started in our part of the lake... wasn't there at all on Labour Day but is now... it's not as bad as some years, but the water is still warm so it may get worse... 64 degree water... water level still generally droping despite rain...

(I've never noticed any issue with the bloom affecting fishing. Especially when the fish are deep. The bloom only goes down a foot or two in most areas.)

since this is a fishing forum I won't spend much time on my duck hunting success... suffice to say it was a bummer of an opening week... very few ducks around... not at all like the last few years.. no teal to speak of, few mallards, few ringies... and 70 degrees with mosquitos... we got enough for a great duck strogonhoff and bring some home, but not limits as usual...

back up in 12 days!

saw TONS of gesse in just about every field on the way home... so it goes..

P.S. 621 road all done but loose gravel still spraying around... lots of windshieled dingers flying!! I took 619 again..

I'm in agreement with Wild Things statements.

Our duck hunters were disappointed in numbers of ducks and mosquitos.

I can't find a walleye to save my life.

I did manage some good muskie fishing. Two 35'ers, a 39" in the boat, and two over forty on the line, all on bass gear. Those muskies like the small lures.

Shorelunch,

I'm back up Wednesday night for four days. Report is lots of honkers around, off the lake, but still very few ducks. Big decline from last few openers. Hope the northerns fill-in soon.

Fish should be getting to the fall spots now. If you are still up there then give me a call on Chan. 10.

Good luck!

WT

Give us a report. Going up in a couple weeks. Warm now but who knows in a couple weeks.

2003 - summer temps all week in mid-Oct.

2006 - 28 degrees and sideways snow the same week.

Box of chocolates.

Just got back. 3 limits of walleyes, 3 limits of crappies, lots of perch, 31 ducks and 5 geese. Found walleyes all over. Starting to school in current areas. Crappies were hard to find, didn't appear to be schooling yet. Found them all over the lake. Got our ducks by jump shooting out of a canoe. Hunted from Fish Narrows to Big Marsh Narrows. Worked for them. Nowhere near as many ducks as last year. Lots of Ring Necks though. Snuck up on the geese. Caught as many walleyes on crawlers as on minnows. Go figure. Back in 10 days.

Dick

Dmoore...

You had me excited until I saw that JUMPSHOOTING word in your post. I guess it's better than no ducks, but I'm kind of a decoy Nazi. If they don't come to me it ain't as fun!

Sad part is the few ducks seen. Oh well, all years can't be like last couple. I did hear of one exciting arrival today however...

Everyone I hear from is catching fish up there, walleyes and crappies. Also hearing of good geese action in the fields, but I'd rather have ducks over water myself....

....72 hours and I'll be up there!

P.S.

B-dude, screw the moose and bring the Benellis!!! Hope to see you in my grass boat in your waders!

I was up Friday afternoon until late last night.

Walleyes - I had great success Friday afternoon and early evening in traditional Fall spots. Depth was 12 - 24 feet. Jig and Gulp with nice eaters and some nice, fat mid-20 inchers.

Saturday was a different story. Temp dropped 20 degrees with a east wind. Struggled to find eaters - mostly caught small fish in the same spots. Weeds were the key for me. If I would have used minnows instead of Gulp I probably would have put more fish in the boat.

Sunday was improved. Caught some decent fish back in traditional spots. Also went crappie fishing and did really well.

Duck hunted Saturday morning with a limit of Mallards, Rings and a few others. Hunted where I pretty much fished.

Busy, busy weekend. Back up in two weeks. Like posted above, 621 is very good now.

Was up last weekend duck hunting and fishing. Pretty much the same report we caught crappies but they were slow and spread out. Walleye fishing was pretty slow mostly small ones.

We chased up quite a few ducks (mostly bills) out of the bays we hunted and shot a few as they came back.

Just got back after four days on the lake. I didn't fish at all, but others did. Good reports on walleyes from an area of current west of Morson, lots of bigger fish. Report form Miles Bay for crappies Saturday was slow. Obabikan has been on and off for crappies.

Won't dwell on it here but the duck hunting was MUCHOS BESSER than the opener week. More birds and more species.

Curious, though, still almost NO mallards. Very strange.

Back up in 10 days!

Got to hunt with Wildthing for a couple mornings. Alot more birds showing up. Made it up to Miles on saturday for a few hours. Fished in the north end of the bay like around Bottleneck bay, and between the waterfalls and the Creek. There was about a dozen boats in Miles and everyone we talked to said it was spotty. Got a few nice perch along with crappies and walleyes. Most of the walleye and sauger were on the small side but we got enough 14-16 inch walleye for a good meal. Hey WT we heard mallards close to dads on saturday evening. They was pretty vocal right at sunset. Gonna make an overnight tirp in a couple weeks.

Just got back from Morson from over the weekend. The crappie bite in Obabikan was pretty good. We fished in the usual spots but we stayed out of the "pack" of boats and the fishing was better. The "pack" were picking up more numbers but when we drifted over towards them the fish were smaller. Fished hard but came back with a limit every day.