• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

carolina rig

TonkaBass

7' to 7 1/2' for sure!!! With a Carolina Rig you will make some long cast and will have a lot of line out so the longer rod helps with getting a good hook set!!!! I use all kinds of baits from stick worms to brush hogs!!! I like a hight speed real as well to pick up the line faster.

I actually just got started on this technique and lovin' it...

I use a 6'6" spinning combo.I'm gonna use 12lb braid but the leader will be 17lb fluoro.My favorite lure is a U-Tail Zoom worm in Junebug red.

I love having the boat downwind and casting against the wind.This way my line is always stretched out when the boat is being pushed by the wind.

I dunno about y'all but the strikes feel fun on a C-rig:)

7'-7.5" medium heavy with a high speed reel. 20# flouro test main line and a 12#-15# flouro leader. If the main line is lighter than the leader you will lose the whole rig when you get hung on rocks where as if the leader is lighter you will only lose the hook (odds are). There are very few plastics that you can't use on a carolina rig.

I made my own C-rigging rod last summer. It is a 7,2" MH, the key I find is that you need a stout rod *but not too heavy*. The MH is all I've used crigging but previous rod's I have used that I havn't been all that happy with are those with "whippy" tips. You'll be knocking up against rock, gravel and cover and will want somthing stiff enough to pull through easily. Prior to making my 7,2" rod, I used a 6,6" MH St. Croix Avid. It worked great too but I like having a longer rod for more leverage in setting the hook. As for baits, I will rig up any plastic bait for the most part. My go to plastics are tubes and creature baits. But I'll even downsize to 3" grubs when the situation presents itself. Awesome technique that IMO is way underused. I run 30 LB power pro with a Flourocarbon leader in 12 lb test.

Originally Posted By: Deitz Dittrich
yup!

12 lb test, is...... 12 lb test!

I Beg to differ

How? I'll go to say that most 12 lb test mono's will break at around 16lb, but the supposed weakest part in the run(run being the large bulk spool that line companies use to fill the smaller spools.) will break near 12 lb test. Braids because of their lack of stretch, tend to break quite near what they are tested to. At least from the many tests I have done with a machine to test knot strength. I'm not trying to start a battle here ocf, but please back up your statement.

12# Gamma Copoly and Yozuri Hybrid has a ridiculous break at about 18-20#. Surprisingly even 12# Trilene XL will break at 14# fresh from the box. I've found that 12# Trilene XT will get you to about 16# fresh from the box. Sometimes these lines break below 12#.

Any fishing line, will get weaken after one day of use.

Keep in mind that not all manufacture tests are standardized across. A dry line test will be different from a wet line (example soaked in water for 1 hour) test.

I agree that not all manufacturers pound tests are not the same. I know that lines with more stretch seem to break at a higher poundage. I look at the diameter more often than the pound test. If you look at lines like Yo-Zuri Hybrid they have a higher diameter than a trilene XL or even Vanish. Diamater is what the fish see, not the number on the box.

Yozuri Hybrid is a weird one. Some of it's test# line diameter is smaller and some of it is larger. I forget which of which. Unlike Trilene XT, all of it is typically larger diameter.

If one is to use a more acurate gauge of line strength. You have to measure break # against diameter and compare that amongst the lines. For what's reasonably affordable, Yozuri Hybrid and Gamma are my top choice because you can drop down in line test on box label and get the same break as other lines. We all know that line break strenght alone is not a good way to buy. Other performance factors should be consider as well, like how stiff or how supple the line is, anti-abrasion quality, line coil memory, stretch deformity, line visibility or invisibility underwater.

Dietz, 2 years ago I did a Straight pull test for several lines all in the 12 pound test category and every mono and flouro that I tested below or at the 12 pound mark. The powerpro performed the best at around 14-15 pounds. Just for fun I put some year old 8 pound fire line on and it broke at 17 pounds. That is the main reason I use fireline today.

I know for sure it was trilene XL and XT for mono, maybe one more. I am not positive on everything else though. Gamma was not tested, nor was yo zuri hybrids. For the test I attached the line onto a basketball hoop through the use of key rings. One key ring was on the hoop and one was on a 5 gallon bucket. bungees were added loosely. I then filled the bucket with water until it snapped and weighed the bucket.

I like using the old lizard for Carolina rigs.

A little story about 50 pound power pro:

I was trolling for pike one time in a Grand Rapids area lake with a #9 shad rap. I got hung up big time (must have been a log or something) in about 16 feet of water. I was unable to free the lure as I tried tugging on it from every direction. So all I could do was pull on the line.

Well, after trying with bare hands for about 2 seconds, I decided a lure wasn't worth losing some fingers so I used a hand towel to wrap around the line and pull. I pulled and pulled and man, is that line strong! Finally, it gave way and broke what I thought was the line. Wrong. I reeled in and on the end of my steel leader was the split ring that bent open and freed itself from the crankbait. I couldn't friggin believe it!