• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

MinnKota bow mount deploy question

LwnmwnMan2

Question

On the trolling motor, the motor seems too tight to the bracket, to the point where I have to pound VERY hard on the prop end to get it to slide off the bracket.

Is there an adjustment to loosen up slightly?

There's no way in the world that I can pull the handle, push down on the head of the motor and slide it off the bracket.

13 answers to this question

Yes, that's the way all the previous ones were as well, almost too loose as we would run a bungee cord around the head hooked to the side of the boat after we'd had one bounce and deploy in heavier waves once.

Now I have to wiggle it so the handle releases, and then pound with both hands HARD to get it to eventually slide off the holder and deploy.

I suspect that this is a newer PowerDrive. Check the collar by the lower unit. You can adjust this away from the lower unit for easier stowing/deploying. There is just one setscrew and then spin it up (away) from the motor assembly. This will keep the lower unit further down the ramp and make the whole system a little less tight. Also, Armor All the shaft.

Doesn't seem that the problem is with the shaft, the problem is getting it off the holder when it's in the stowed position. Mine is 3 years old and it is a PIA.

This is the case... the plastic that it sits on.

However, I understand with the set screw by the motor, to not allow the motor to slide all the way onto the holder?

Yep. There is also different size rests for the different size lower unit diameters. You could try putting the smallest motors rests (usually put on the biggest 4" lower units / 74-80# thrust motors) on the mid-size motor frames (3 5/8" / 44-70# thrust). Or the mid-size rests on the small motor frame units (3 1/4" diameter).

I'm telling you, try the Armor-All on the shaft.

This is a very common issue and the manual even says to use the Armor-All.

I know it seems like it's the motor casing hanging up in the "nest" area of the covers, but just try the Armor-All and you will see that it will totally eliminate the issue.

Mine now works so well I put a bungie on it while towing.

Try it, you'll like it.

I had the same problem, had to pound a few times on the head to get it to release from the holder. I now use the stick type of wd 40 and rub some on the holder cradle and it slides out with very little pressure, works great.