Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
UdeLakeTom

Happy Labor Day

18 posts in this topic

Thanks to all the trade unions, AFL-CIO, Teamsters, UAW, etc that organized over the years to give me this day off with pay. smilesmile

Good thought, ULT. Here's hoping everyone who has the day off is experiencing a relaxing and rejuvenating break from work.

I'm not thanking any union. For personal reasons I'm not posting on the internet I'm very anti union but that's just me and if you are pro union that's your deal, and you'll get no arguement from me as that's your choice. However, at 4:30 this morning I got out of my 72 Dodge camper and restarted the fire in the gravel pit where myself and some very good friends had spent the weekend. A few other dudes and gals arrived back at the fire shortly thereafter. As I was mixing my coffee with Jose Cuervo I looked at the others and said, "It's a working persons holiday. Let's celebrate." And we did.

I'm not thanking any union. For personal reasons I'm not posting on the internet I'm very anti union but that's just me and if you are pro union that's your deal, and you'll get no arguement from me as that's your choice. However, at 4:30 this morning I got out of my 72 Dodge camper and restarted the fire in the gravel pit where myself and some very good friends had spent the weekend. A few other dudes and gals arrived back at the fire shortly thereafter. As I was mixing my coffee with Jose Cuervo I looked at the others and said, "It's a working persons holiday. Let's celebrate." And we did.

And was the Cuervo still a factor when you typed this post? grinlaughgrinlaugh

Nope.

I'm just a little tired of hearing of how the union has saved me and my trade from everything "The man" can toss at me. I realize it's not this way in everyones life, but the union has caused me much more trouble than it's worth.

As stated, happy labor day.

I don't have any problem with your personal take on the unions. I just couldn't resist the temptation to give you a little cr@p when I saw the Cuervo at 4:30 this morning bit. winkgrin

Wow! Being an executive officer for my local union I'm shocked. Everyone is entitled to an opinion I guess, so I'm not going there. Happy Labor Day

Actually, mine was a bit boring. It was 88 degrees with wind gusts of 36 mph. That's too hot and windy for fishing, hunting and photography. I stayed in where it was cool and read tons of forum posts. grin

Labor day for me meant 12 1/2 hours of work.Up at 2:30 am working by 4 am back home at 5 pm.No big deal as today its up at 4:30 am and gone fishing at 6 am.Same for wednesday FISHING.Work 12 hours on thursday then fishing friday,saturday,sunday.Being on salary it all pays the same.I like when i can fish more hours per week than work.

I don't have any problem with your personal take on the unions. I just couldn't resist the temptation to give you a little cr@p when I saw the Cuervo at 4:30 this morning bit. winkgrin

It's all good, and it was a fun weekend. grin

ULT, I decided to dig into the origin of Labour Day to validate your claim and learned something new. I didn't realize that there was a labor union that predates the 20th century. In fact, the Central Labor Union was organized back in 1882 and then later broke into smaller locals, which eventually became the AFL-CIO. Interesting.

I have some experience with labor shops and was a member for a few years but I'm with boilerguy. I am not a labor union type person.

With that said, I still think it's okay to offer a thank you to the unions for the day off. Being a salaried person the with pay or without pay is immaterial but I still get the day off so thanks.

Oh, and yes ULT's claim is valid. It was by the work of the Cenral Labor Union that we have a Labor Day today.

Bob