• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Installing flashing when siding is already up

fishlips

Hope a siding expert can help me with this question. Our cabin was completed last year, with siding put on all sides. The front was only sided down to within 40" as I am putting up cultered stone up to meet the siding at the 40" height. The siding guy never mentioned anything, but now I'm wondering how I am supposed to get the flashing installed properly. I could slide it under the siding starter strip, but I'd have to cut out slots where the nails are and it would end up on top of the house wrap.

What is the best way to properly get the flashing installed? Is there a way to get the bottom layer of siding off the starter strip without causing damage? That would allow me to pull up the starter strip and install the flashing, but I'm not sure how to get the siding back on the starter strip... (the flashing is 3 1/2" high and has a 1 1/2" reveal which sits on top of the ledger stone). Thanks...

You'll need a vinyl siding removal tool. You can get a cheap one at any home building store.

Determine the bottom height of the flashing and snap a straight line.

You'll unlock the first coarse of siding from the starter strip. Use a pencil and mark the along top of the stater strip on the house wrap or fan fold insulation. Remove the nails from the starter strip with a flat bar. Don't knick the starter or you'll have to replace it.

Put the flashing in place, you have the straight line there. Predrill and nail in a locations that'll be hidden behind the starter strip. Just enough nails to hold it. Put the starter strip back, you have the pencil marks for the correct height. Predrill the flashing again. A note about nails. Normally you'll use aluminum trim nails on the aluminum trim. In this case its not necessary and you can use the same roofing nails as whats used on the starter strip. You don't want to nail the trim or starter strip tight.

If it's vinyl you can unzip the siding where it tucks onto the starter strip and then remove the starter strip, cut a slit into the house wrap and then slide the flashing under the wrap. Then re-install the starter strip. There is a tool that aids in unzipping and zipping the siding or make one out of a spoon handle. This is assuming it's vinyl; if it's Steel all you can do is back it down from the top. Google vinyl siding repair and you'll find detailed instructions on how to unzip and re-install the siding.

Good explanations above. Make sure that flashing gets behind the house wrap.

You should have tarpaper below that for your stone.

As long as you are taking things apart, try opening up the siding above the garage door, service doors, and windows. Make sure they are flashed, taped, and house wrapped.