• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

One more battery question please!!

Hoffer

Question

OK, i just went out and checked the fluid level in my batteries....I couldnt believe it!

In the trolling motor battery all the cells were dry - i could see with the flashlight the metal slits and they were not under water. The rear accessory battery was also dry - but some of the cells were under water.

The starting battery was also dry with only some cells being covered.

This really surprised me as the guy I bought it from was a real 'mechanically inclined" guy and I just figured he would have had the battery fluids full.

So, I have 2 questions...is there any chance that once I fill these up - would the batteries actually still be OK?? or are they shot now?

Last, do I need to add anything special other than just plain old distilled water? Do they make any kind of battery additive to replenish the proper electrolytes - or will just plain old distilled water work?

Thanks again!

FYI I bought a 15 amp photo cell from Northern and rigged it up on the top of my boat lift. It works like a charm, pumps up the trolling battery in a day and has saved me from lugging the batteries home every two weeks. Might be a good investment for that cabin. Around $145 for the entire works.

Probably 15 watts. A solar bank capable of 15A (180-200W) would be pretty large and expensive. In contrast, a 10A battery charger is roughly 120-140 watts.

15W is fine for maintaining and trickle charging, but it won't fully charge a well-drained trolling motor battery in a day. Of course, charge time depends on how much the battery is drawn down.