• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Creek Chubs

Me and a friend got a lake that we are looking to try this fall for walleyes and we are looking to use chubs for bait and were wondering what the best set up is to use them with. We will most likely be fishing from shore.

Thanks in advance.

I usually fish them on a live bait rig like a lindy rig, but I know several guys that fish them under bobbers in shallow, rocky water. I think either would work for you, cast out a live bait rig and let them swim, or toss out a bobber. Good luck.

I use chubs the same way I would use any minnow. They do catch fish! My question is what their life cycle is. I usually walk a river near home and catch them using a ultra-light and bluegill jig. Lots of fun! I have a bunch in a old 50 gallon aquarium but starting to run out. Three weeks or so ago I was still catching them. Now they are no where to be found! None! I can't figure out where they go! Anyone know? I've tried twice in the last week or so and can't find any.

Mr d

I keep about a 50 gallon cooler in the basement where it is cooler. It's situated over a sink. I change water every 5 days or so. Being it's over the sink, I just open the drain on the cooler. I use River water which is a hassle to keep on hand but my city water kills them fast! I use gold fish food to feed. I've also chopped up crawlers but that gets messy. I keep a aquarium pump going.

I normally just keep a few dozen on hand so I don't have to fill the cooler all the way. 4-5 dozen will stay alive for me with about 15-20 gallons of water, the pump and the goldfish food. The batch I have know have been with me over a month and they are still in very good shape.

So how big are your chubs? have they grown in the last month grin

I just bought 3 dozen small sucker minnows tonight for tomorrow morning. Can't find chubs around the Monticello area. Between 2 of us they'll be gone by 10 am. Ok there might be a few left in the pail. Riggin and jiggin for walleye. They do the trick, but I prefer chubs any day. A bit livelier and hardier. My favorite rig is a 3 foot lindy with a small hammered brass spinner ahead of 5 small red beads. One #2 hook unless the minnows are over 3". Then I use a stinger. You can use a lindy from shore, but I'd rather bobber fish em. Hard to cast a lindy(with a slip-sinker) a long way .