• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Garage door torsion spring replacement.

dakotakid31

I'm not sure about the cost as it's been about 6 years. I do recall they suggested replacing both at the same time because it puts more stress on the older spring. Also It's cheaper to do 2 at the same time as opposed to doing 1 spring on two occasions. Look in your local paper or phone book some of the garage repair businesses will offer discount coupons.

This has been discussed back and forth many times in this forum. You can google and get the instructions and then it simply boils down to whether you want to screw around and do it with the attendent risks, or spend $100-$150 to have a pro do it.

I think we paid about the same as Stick 3-4 years ago ... torsion installed. I would have tried it but the door looks like it weighs about 1,000 lbs. and the price was right. St. Cloud Overhead. Ask for Gary, I used to work with his wife.

For anyone thinking of replacing their own springs. Hire it out. If you still are set on doing it yourself, you need to know that there is a left and a right spring. I didn't know that and got very lucky I didn't get hurt. One has red paint on the end and the other black. I don't remember which one was which since I tried it years ago. Whoever you buy them from should be able to tell you which one goes were.

Do both sides at the same time. My dad replaced one of mine when it broke, then replaced the other side 2 weeks later. They are probably due to break again based on usage. I adjusted the tension on my door about a month ago and forgot how much pressure those springs put out. The process is not difficult to do but there is some danger if you don't know how to do it. Have steel rods that fit the holes precisely, you don't want any slop. Stand off to the side when tightening the springs, etc. I know how to do it but will hire someone to do it when the time comes. When you figure the total cost minus the cost of the springs, you aren't paying much for the labor and experience.