• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Yamaha big bear 400 starter

Eric Wettschreck

Is there some kind of trick to buying a new one that actually works????

I toasted mine a while back. I'm cool with that as I know these things don't last forever. They are uber expensive at around $130 a pop. Since then I've bought and replaced 3 of them. Swapping them out takes all of 2 minutes but dang, it's frustrating.

The last one I almost bought, I had the guy at the dealership take out of the box and test it right there. Nope, didn't work. So he grabbed another, tested it and it worked. I got it home, and just for giggles wired it up on my work bench, and it don't work!!!! You have to tap it to get it to work.

Frustrating to say the least. All I want is a starter that actually works when I hit the button. Any suggestions on where to get one???? The drive to the dealer to exchange these things is a little expensive on the fuel bill.

All the starters I've got worked for a few times, then you had to tap them to get them to work. Even sitting on the work bench you had to give them a tap. Kinda like the old Chevy starters that you had to knock a few times with a hammer to get them to work.

So if you tap them they work? Wouldnt it be easier and cheaper to just tie a happer to the handle bars and tap it when needed wink .

Bg, if the starter is still new, and they wont swap it out for you, what I would do is tear the starter down and clean it up, and relube bushings. Another thing make sure that your battery is fully charged, and there isnt any bad connections. I am assuming the problems you are having are just because the starters have been sitting on the shelves and are getting some rust on the brushes and are sticking.

I had an old 350 big bear, replaced the brushes in the starter twice, but nothing else. If it works when you tap on it, it sounds like the brushes are not seated on the armature. Once the brushes seat, I bet it will work like a million bucks.