• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Catfishing boat question????

icehousebob

There was a strange boat in my driveway when I got home from work a few days ago. When my number three son came over, I asked him about it. He told me it was mine.(good kid) Well, its a 16 foot aluminum with a 50 horse long shaft tiller motor. I'm wondering whether I could replace that motor with my 7&1/2 horse short shaft when I use it on the Minnesota or Red Rivers. I know it wouldn't get up and plane, but for short trips, the prop and lower unit wouldn't stick down far enough to get hurt. Has anyone tried a similar setup? Would it screw up the manuvering capabilites too much to have the prop that high in the water? Would appreciate any help since I'm pretty much a rookie with boats.

I you really want to use that small motor on there, I would put a "mini" jack plate on it off to the side, then you have the best of both worlds.

But to be honest, in most cases you will be able to get around just fine with that 50hp.

Heck even now during the super low water, there are still places to go, and the place you can't......you can hardly even get through with a jet.