• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anyone dove hunting monday?

Its the dove opener on monday and being a holiday I thought there might be a few folks out on the opener that normally wouldn't be out there.

I'm gonna do some driving around tomorrow to check a couple spots I know of for monday. I want to bring my 8 yr old daughter on her first bird hunt so I figured dove opener would hopefully provide some action for me, her and the dog. We could all use the tune up.

Wouldn't Labor Day be great with fresh doves on the grill?!!! grin

I definately will be out there.

Going to try hunting a wheat field right away in the morning. Usually I hunt a water hole in the afternoon but it's dried up this year.

Also going to use a mojo. I've seen some doves working the field in the afternoon but not big numbers. Gotta make every shot count and hope the mojo makes a difference.

I've never hunted doves before, but I'm seriously considering it. A friend just took a picture of about 30 doves sitting in a tree, not too far from town. Unfortunately, I'll probably have to wait. I just read where you need to be HIP certified. I'm not and the sporting goods store will probably be closed tomorrow.

Heading out in a half an hour. The better shooting will be this evening when the doves come to get a drink of water after a hot windy day. No orange is required for dove hunting. I THINK you need steel shot on the state managed dove fields but can use lead every where else. You do need your plug in your gun (three shells maximum) because doves are considered migratory birds.

Dove Hunting was unbelievable this morning. Shot 3 limits in 1.5 hrs. Didn't have a spinning wing dove decoy so I just put out the Baby mojo duck. Man did that thing work great. Sad part is we saw more birds when we leaving than when we were hunting them. They were everywhere. Brushed up on the dog traing as well.

A duck decoy? You're just lucky you didn't have the wind that we have. Our wind is gusting 30 mph. I can't imagine trying to hit a dove flying at 50 mph with a tail wind of 30 mph.

Good to hear you did so well. I'm going to wait for calmer weather.

You guys are killing me. We weren't trying too hard, just enough to get the kids out in the field.

We saw half a dozen with a bunch of pigeons and crows too. I missed a couple crossing shots at 20yds. I couldn't believe it. The kids sure let me know it too.

I can't wait to get out some more. Its too bad the season doesn't last long.

We shot seventy this morning between eight of us. Should be even better this evening when we go out. Hunting a watering hole and lucky for us they are coming in against this wind to use it. Still plenty of misses though. Going to leave the weapon home and just handle the dog this evening. Better make hay while you can with this cold front that's coming in. Good luck to everyone.