Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
delta dude

Seward fishing in mid July

Am taking a cruse-land trip to Alaska next July. We are looking into flying in a couple days early to go fishing. Am thinking of renting a car in Anchorage and driving to Seward. Wonder if anyone has any info on the fishing for Halibet and Salmon there mid July. Also any recomendations on a charter .

You can get Halibut anytime out of Seward, Silvers (coho) start congregating out in the ocean in mid-july, but you will have to go way out. There is not much river fishing in Seward. There is an ample supply of charter boats available in the center of town. Seward is a nice town to spend a coupe of days to do the tourist thing and well worth the time.

In mid-July the reds (sockeye) should be running hard on the Kenia and Russian Rivers. Could be a king run and early silver run going then as well, but I'm told that varies from year to year. I take an annual trip and arrive either 1st or 2nd week in August and have always hit the Reds and Silvers. On even years the pinks are running as well. We also go to Nilnilceck and to charter for Halibut. I found the halibut to have a lot better average size in the Cook Inlet.

everything DD said...except I've heard, and had limited experience with, the avg size of cook inlet butts getting smaller these days...I'd bank on a halibut only (not a combo trip) out of Seward or Homer being your best bet. Take a look at crackerjack charters webpage (seward). Lots of big fish out by Montague island...but it takes an all day charter to get to them.

For the past couple years the silvers or cohos in Seward have been late. They come to the mouth of the bay in the middle of July, but are either fished out or gone by the first week of August.

Traveler, This year we were out by Montague twice (mid-Aug.) and the biggest butt we caught was 25 pounds. Out of Ninilcheck the catch ranged from 50 to 35.

Delta Dude - The nice thing about a trip to Montague Island or even into the Gulf of Alaska is the access to other fish like Ling Cod and Rockfish. As Traveler said it is a long way out to Motague, 3 hours one way. The charters are also surcharging fuel. One charter I contacted wanted $50 per person added to $225 per person charter rate. This is definitely the time to negotiate rates. Some boats will, and some won't.

DD; bad luck?? I just haven't seen/heard much for decent fish coming off the beaches in the last few years, though I'm sure some still do. We fished with a captain out of Homer last time up (out of Homer) who liked to fish small spots; humps, ledges, etc...where we never saw another boat. He liked to fish lead head jigs w/curly tails, had an underwater camera as well and it was very cool! Didn't get anything big, but much more fun that fighting that darn cook inlet tide with 4 lb. weights:)

Traveler. I've never been to Homer. We are going to staying in Cooper Landing the first week of August 2009. How long does it take to get down there from Cooper?

I was just up there and without looking I'd have to say about 45min - 1 hr from Cooper to Soldotna and 1hr/15min - 1.5hrs from Homer to Soldotna. Never stayed but absolutely loved the Cooper Landing area.

Yup, thats close enough:) I hear ya on Cooper landing....heaven on earth:) Homer is worth the drive; coming into view of the whole kachamak (sp?) bay area is breathtaking, and theres some darn good fishing to be had down there as well.