• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rodent Football?

Bryce

Nope, Gophers are gonna get this one! Before the Northwestern game I figured this Michigan game would be our toughest test remaining (not looking at records here) We seem to find ways to lose but we did that last weekend. A little hunting reference: ITS TIME FOR THE GOPHERS TO GO TROPHY HUNTING!!!!!!

GO GOPHERS!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Face it Gopher fans...they have improved, but they aren't very good. The Big Ten is very bad this year (including the Badgers). Ohio State & Penn State are the class of the conference. Too bad Penn State lost to Iowa!! The Axe is staying with WISCONSIN!!!!!

I missed the game, but it sounded pretty bad. The team is better than last year, but still has a ways to go. But overall, this year should be viewed as a success. One thing I will point out is that they rushed for under 100 yards against Michigan, which is consistent in all of their losses. Hopefully Brewster isn't forgetting about recruiting some offensive line help. Four-star running back recruits look great on paper, but it would also be nice to see a few more legitimate O-linemen recruits. Hopefully Matt Carufel can come in and contribute right away next year.

Well, the truth has settled in.

How you can be 7-1 and lose to NW with a backup QB, lose to historically one of the worst Michigan teams ever, and fumble a win away in Wisconsin generally shows what kind of team you are.

But it really shows what kind of grit your team has when you are moving in the opposite direction as one of your rivals and you go down without so much as a whimper 55-0.

Motor City Bowl? Yuck.

Glad to see Brew got a nice recruit committed over the weekend. There is some hope as he gets better athletes and opens a new stadium that we can look back on 2007 and the 4 (maybe 5?) game skid in 2008 as stumbles in the marathon chase.

I'm glad to see the Gophers will be playing outside next year. The "Roller Dome" is a terrible place for college football...and pro football...and baseball...etc.

It might be a terrible place to play but the Twins and Vikings have historically drawn from IA, SD and ND, not mention up to 6 hour drives from within MN. If they plan to continue to do so, it would have been nice to at least have a retractable roof so with baseball you'll see a game after making the drive and reservations, and with football the whole family could enjoy the event.

There are a lot of folks like myself who will never schedule a trip to the Cities to see a game, knowing that rain, sleet, or snow could either cancel the game or make it a miserable experience for some of the family. If in the area and there's a game and I have time yes, but it's a good bet that outstate ticket sales will suffer. I guess with more than half the state's population close by they don't need to draw from the greater area like 30 or 40 years ago.

Call me a fair weather fan but life is too short, there's too much hunting to be done and fish to catch to risk wasting a trip, a weekend and money on reservations.

Gophers need a new offensive and defensive coordinator. Mike Dunbar resigned as O coordinator to look into other professional interests, his spread offense kind of sputtered and the power running game had been featured of late, with a new hire having a lot of say in the offense. Ted Roof, the D coordinator, is leaving for Auburn.

On another note, did anybody see the segment on Big Ten Short Stories about Brewster's motivational style? His quotes and drawl just crack me up. "Get yer chili hot!" "Let's ride!" "Let's roll" "When we come back in here, we're gonna have an axe on our back!"

They got a theater coach from the Rarig Center to evaluate his motivational style. "He motions with his hands close to his heart, I think he's showing genuine emotion and pride, it's not scripted.....His other hand is on his hip, he's showing strength with his body language." It was actually kind of interesting. He talked about how he thinks that he isn't doing his job if he doesn't get his kids motivated to play. I agree and disagree with that...I mean, they are one step away from professional athletes, if you can't get up for games why are you playing? Still, who doesn't remember getting fired up for a game when your coach rolled in and said something emotional or got in your face? Part of the joy of playing the game I suppose. LET'S RIDE!!!!

Dunbar was already on his way out when they hired a "running game" coordinator. He has never stayed for very long at any of the programs that he's coached at in the past, so I'm not surprised he left. He also never played a key role in recruiting, so my guess is that he was in Brewster's doghouse anyways. Roof was more of a surprise. But again, he wasn't a huge recruiter. It will be interesting to see how the next couple of months go for the gophs on the recruiting side. This is the time period when the major college programs run out of scholarships they can give out, so the three- and four-star athletes that weren't offered a scholarship by the big programs start looking at other colleges.

I saw in the paper today that Kevin Cosgrove has been hired as a co-defensive coordinator. As a Husker fan, I extend my condolences to all you Gophers fans.

Good luck, Gophs. You'll need it.

I understand he's bringing a Husker defence tradition to Minnesota. The Huskers have the blackshirts and the Gophers are going to have he pink shirts.

Why does the U have to bring someone who couldn't get a job at a community college?

Time will tell if it was a good move or not. He did a decent job at Wisconsin, so hopefully Nebraska was just a fluke and more a blame on the players there at the time. Like I said, time will tell. Brewster has a history with him and he likes the recruiting part of the job.

Originally Posted By: Black_Bay

Why does the U have to bring someone who couldn't get a job at a community college?

Come on....don't be so tough on Brewster.

smile

I'm not talking about Brewster. I like his attitude. I'm talking about Cosgrove. I have a Nebraska connection and he wasn't well thought of at all.