• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

"Wings of the Dragons"

I started out this morning with the thought of capturing a few images of some early fall butterflies.....what butterflies! cry...lol!...I came across one lone frittilary flying 200 fps!...soooo....the dragonflies were very accomodating however .....attacking and feeding on any unsuspecting bugs that flew close to them .....digiscoped a couple different species!...the clear-winged dragon is a "darner"...many species of these and we'll just call it a "darner" and let it go at that grin....other is the "12 spotted skimmer"...both beautiful,glassy winged creatures!

started my search(Carey Lake) with a "perfect" late summer morning...

Frame_P1040767copy.jpg

subtle fall color changes are certainly starting along the trails...

Frame_P1040780-1copy.jpg

Frame_DSCN3194-2copy.jpg

wings of this "Darner" are like miniature stained glass windows!...

Frame_DSCN3176-4copy.jpg

this "12 spotted" apparently thought I couldn't see him!...

Frame_DSCN3183-3copy.jpg

another of the resting Darner...

Frame_DSCN3173copy-3.jpg

found a batch of these "susans" along the trail....

Frame_DSCN3141-2copy.jpg

Thanks everyone!....I guess I have a "thing" for dragon flies grin....never hardly go into the woods without coming back with at least one or 2 images of the little guys!....maybe it's just because they're there and nothing else is!...opportunist in me I guess! grin...I must admit...spotting different species of dragonflies isn't unlike "birding"(which I also enjoy)...I bought a field guide(Kurt Mead) on dragonflies a couple of years ago and has really helped me identify the little guys(102 species here in Minnesota)...just a great summer past time along with birding...