• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What is jig and pig

apegs

Hi am new to this sight and really started getting into fishing the last couple years and considered my knowledge of fishing pretty limited after seeing some of the techniques on this sight. Any ways I am curious what the jig and pig is. How do you use it and when and where is the best time. The only really good bass fishing I have ever done is with Senco's and I would like to expand my knowledge beyond that.

jig and pig is when you use a jig with a skirt, and you add a trailer, some sort of plastic, to the hook to make the entire bait seem to have a larger profile in the water. You can catch fish with just the jig, but I seem to have better luck with a "pig" on as well. The pig usually also makes the whole jig a little more buoyant and can sometimes keep the bait in the strike zone longer for bass to get it. You can pitch a jig along boat docks, rocks, vegetation, dropoffs, open water flats...pretty much just about anywhere that the fish are. Its a good big fish bait, but I have caught dinks on it as well....just not as many. Senkos are good baits for numbers, but can become expensive quickly when 10" bass rip them to shreds all day long. you can fish jigs slow, fast, in between....really anyway...but most of the time the fish want it a certain way. some days you can pitch it in a pocket and you can see a fish flash on it almost before it hits the water, other days the bite is so subtle you may not even feel it but need to watch for any movement or tension in your line. remember...hook sets are free!

There are tons of variations of jigs, but here's a jig, and here's a pig

n63210485_32682378_5341.jpg

n63210485_32682379_5594.jpg

Something that did not produce for me yesterday evening...

Hey Fishin... in college I remember Farmhouse Fraternity guys singing a song similar to what you describe "Dance a little jig - and then something about a little pig..."

Maybe it wasn't the same.... laugh

Something that did not produce for me yesterday evening...

Hey Fishin... in college I remember Farmhouse Fraternity guys singing a song similar to what you describe "Dance a little jig - and then something about a little pig..."

Maybe it wasn't the same.... laugh

HAHAHA

Hey Mongo,caught a 28" pike out of BL this evening...there is something other than hammerhandles afterall.

They used pork rind "Uncle Josh" trailers.... "Pigs"

112RA9XP0FL_AA160_.jpg

Now most people use plastic...

HEY FISHIN - nice job on the Pike. Check out that inside corner north of the beach - just off the beach. Some nicer bass out there - also across the lake - near those apartments (I think). Look for the coontail....

Hey Flatcoat,,, did you or do you own a flat coated retriever? Just curious, I owned one years ago, he was one hunting piece of work.

yes, ive owned 3 and have one right now. He's 4 and is a pheasant killing machine.

Flat coat thanks for th info that was very helpful. Your definetely right about the sencos geting ripped to shreds. I was wondering what kind of retrieval method you use. Do you drag is slow on the bottom, or raise and let it drop?

Hey apegs, there is a thread called Bass Jig Fishing just a bit down the page that has a ton of info on how to fish a jig. I used to fish them all the time when I was younger and did good on em, then lost my confidence in them. That thread has a lot of really great tips for everything from flipping to finesse.

Sorry Apegs for the attempt at humor...the term originated from jigs with pork rind trailers as Mongo said. I was using a similar version yesterday...jig and leech.

Mongo...caught three pike off the east tip of the long East/West bar, just off the weeds I figure my bait was down 18 ft. Marked(caught a few to confirm)hoards of panfish from 24-28 ft along that same spot in the North-South trough. On the bottom up to 10 ft off. All pretty small gills. No bass, but I was only messin around for an hour, mainly 20 ft+(6:30-7:30 pm). Cruised up thru the beach area on my way off...nuthin. My boy and I were panfishin earlier in the day, had fun.