• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What a way to end the summer!!!!!!!!!!

Deitz Dittrich

As many know on the boards, I'm a school teacher, and this is the last weekend before the school year starts. Which, by the way, I am quite looking forward to..

Anyway, I had a good friend of mine invite me to go fishing on a lake that he had permission to fish today. We ended up taking 2 boats, he fished with a friend of his, and I took my younger brother. I fished with my little bro(whos 30) from 7:30 till 1pm, he and I caught and released 126 bass... I fished for a few hours alone, and then fished with my bud, for the last 2 hours before we couldnt handle it any more. By the end of the day, the tally for my boat alone was 228 bass. If I dont set the hook for a week, I will still be a happy man. My thumb is toast, my wrist cant handle any pressure, my left side rib cage has a huge bruise from the butt of the rod. All my fish were caught on a jig pig, my brother and friend caught all their fish on a weightless worm.

Big fish of the day was 3lbs.. but most fish were 1.5 lbs to 2 lbs.. I also caught the biggest sunfish of my life... 1lb 2.25 oz on my scale.. .monster! I'm going to go sleep now, I have a pict of the gill that I will post tomorrow.

Let the school year begin!

That's an awesome day on the water. Cripes, you must have had a secretary on board to keep the tally! I remember the days growing up on the Mississippi by Little Falls...too tired of catching fish...fingers bleeding. One smallie after another all day. Nice gill too, lets see the pic! Good luck with the new school year.

Deitz, sounds like an awesome day on the water. Not to hijack your thread, but I have a "best day of fishing ever" report of my own.

A friend of mine, who is stationed in Okinawa, was back in town for a week and wanted to do some fishing. He's staying in Cottage Grove so we decided Demontreville would be a good place to meet this past Thursday to do a little bass fishing.

On my way, I decide to stop and pick up some sucker minnows at the last minute since my buddy is a rookie bass fisherman and I didn't know if he'd want to throw plastics all day. Good thing I did!

After about 45 minutes of throwing cranks, spinnerbaits, jigs, worms, etc. my friend asked me to rig up a slip bobber so he could throw out a sucker and have lunch. Within 10 seconds of the minnow hitting the water I hear "Oh s**t!" and hear his drag squealing. I assumed it was a pike until it jumped. First fish of the day and big fish of the day, a nice 21 incher! The fish had a huge head and skinny body so I don't think he was much more than 5 lbs.

IMG_2719.jpg

My other friend Jeff and I were stubborn and stuck with our artificials as long as we could. After Aaron put four straight fish in the boat (all over 18") we decided to switch.

Fish #2

IMG_2721.jpg

#3 another 20" (another jughead)

IMG_2723.jpg

I finally got on the board with my first of the day, a fat 19"

IMG_2725.jpg

...and followed it up with a 20"

IMG_2726.jpg

Not to be out done, Aaron lands another piggie

IMG_2729.jpg

At this point we ran out of bait and tried artificials again with no luck. We ended up running for more bait. When we got back on the lake we came upon a large run about being pulled by a guy in a canoe. The starter was shot and the guy paddled it all the way from Olson and half way to the launch on Demont...pretty impressive. We towed him in and then headed back out fishing. Fishing was slower in the afternoon.

As evening neared, fishing picked up again. Jeff got this one and I finished out the day with another solid 19" fish.

IMG_2732.jpg

IMG_2734.jpg

We finished the day with 20 bass, 12 of which were over 17" (3 at 20"+ and several 19s). I've never caught that many quality bass in one day. I guess a better fisherman could have gotten them to bite without live bait, but we got 19/20 on suckers. None of them were gut hooked.

Aaron said that was his best day of fishing ever and couldn't wait to get out again. I think we may have converted a walleye fisherman!

NIce day on the water Juan!!! Congrats!

here is a pict of that gill... dachise-I didn't get measurements, just snapped a few picts and put her back... Please look at the pict close, you can see by the bend in the arm I am not long arming the pict, and for those that have met me, I have huge hands, this fish was truely a beast!!!

gibgil2.jpg

Wow, sounds like a great day. I had a day kinda like that a couple weeks ago. I had to put 3 bandaids on my thumb with duct tape over it to fish the next day. THat's a huge bluegill. If you had to guess a lenth what would you say?

Dietz, congrats on a great day to finish out the summer.

Juan Grande - congrats on your great outing ... would have never thought to using suckers on a bobber for bass. As a kid fishing with my dad, that was his bait of choice for targeting northern pike. Your friend from Okinawa must have had a blast!