• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

A good deal?

Lunker

Been looking for a boat, wondering if the one a looked at today is a good deal, I think it sounds good, but don't boat shop much.

1987 16ft aluminum single console lowe in good condition

1987 Johnson 25hp motor, works well

Bow mount trolling motor w/ 2 batteries

New deck/carpeting throughout w/ 20 Gallon livewell.

Trailer is in good condition as well, new tires.

Asking $1800, been for sale for 2 months, probably could offer less.

It's a nice boat, but not really sure if this is a steal or worth shopping around more.

Sounds good, could probably offer a little less and see if he takes it. Make sure you go over the hull of that thing really well, make sure there are no holes or anything in it. Also, take it out and give it a test ride, make sure it doesn't take on water and that the motor handles well. If he won't let you take it for a spin, walk away. I got stung on this before and no matter how good the deal is, I won't buy without driving it first again.

If there is going to a problem with this deal it will more that likely be in the 21 year old motor. Before buying I would take the motor to a shop and have the compression checked. I would also have them drain the lower unit and have the oil checked for water. It is also likely that the lower unit will need an impeller for the water pump.

If there are problems with the powerhead then this $1,800 deal could quickly turn into a deal that could easily cost and an additional 1 to 2 thousand more.

It seems like an okay deal to me, especially if you follow the advice the others have given you .... offer less, get the compression checked, test it on the water, etc.

But .... you said you haven't done much shopping. I dount if one of the first boats you come across is really going to be the best deal you can find. I think I'd keep looking around, even if you are interested in this boat, just to see what's out there. It should be a buyer's market especially at this time of year. Good luck and have fun shopping.

I would follow the advise already given. It's never a bad idea to check the compression on the motor, the 25 hp johnsons are pretty bulletproof though, so unless it wasn't taken care of well you should be in good shape on the motor.

marine_man

I'd agree with all the previous posts. For sure, check the floor! If the boat & engine are ok but the floor is soft & rotting, the buy on the boat/engine may be a good buy but putting in a new floor will add to your expense. If you say "floor is something I can do myself", more power to ya, I just know they are a pain in the arse to do and something I'd avoid if possible.