Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BobT

Lead replacement for bullets

11 posts in this topic

Just curious. With the push to eliminate lead shot and lead lures, what are the implications of eliminating lead bullets for centerfire cartridges? Is there a suitable substitute that wouldn't require a barrel replacement? I'm assuming that our barrels wouldn't take it very well to use something harder.

Bob

I have heard depleted uranium works pretty well wink

Seriously though, I have heard about 100% copper bullets and copper jacketed tungsten alloys.

I don't do a lot of centerfire shooting though and I (of course) use steel for waterfowl.

I have used Barnes Triple Shock for a couple years. These bullets exceed any lead one I have used in the past. However, they are more expensive.

I also use Barnes Triple Shock bullets. They are 100% copper and are very effective. Near 100% weight retention and no lead so no contamination problem. They aren't cheap but they work well in my Model 70 300WSM.

All copper bullets are fine for barrels. California has already banned lead bullets. I think it's just a matter of time before it is banned elsewhere including here. I haven't made the switch to the barnes bullet yet but I will soon.

I'm expecting with the latest push to eliminate lead that you are probably right. It's a matter of time.

Bob

Yeah, last year's flap about lead fragments in food shelf venison didn't help either. At some point they'll complain about copper fragments too.

Yeah, that'll be next. It won't be long and we'll be hunting with paint balls.

Bob

I personally wouldn't be stocking up too much. The only thing you will be able to shoot the lead at may be targets.

If the democrats get into office we may be trading info on wrist rockets eek