• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Deer stands and cull wood

Just a heads up, now is a good time of year to go to your local lumber yards and see what they have for cull wood, the construction guys have been sorting thru it all year, you can get it at a good discount. It may be a little tougher to use but the deer don't care if the some of the lumber has a twist to it.

Yesterday I picked up 65+ treated 2x4's for $90, lots of them were 14-16 footers, lots of deerstand material there!!

Right on!

People look at those warped 14 footers and wonder what the heck good they are.

9 times out of 10, one end of the board is warped beyond belief, so whack off a few feet of the board and use the remaining 10 ft for a great piece of lumber for a deer stand.

We have built all our stands from cull wood. Went to Fleet Farm years ago, and loaded my Dads pickup so full of wood, I didnt know if we would get home. I dont remember exactly, but we picked up that load of 4x4, 2x4, 2x6, etc.... For like $100.

Dad chiseled on the manager, and the guy just said, "Get it out of here".

You're exactly right, that 14 footer thats not perfectly straight, once its cut into two foot lengths for the ladder, works just fine. Or a 4x4 with a twist to it, find two that are similar and mount your platform to the top, who cares if its twisted by the time it touches the ground?

One year I hit the city wide pick up day for garbage and whatever in Fargo. I picked up enough lumber and tin to build two permanent enclosed stands and they are pretty nice.

Didn't cost a thing but a few hours of driving around the city and some gas. We laughed as we picked this up as people just looked at us and probably thought we were Sanford ans son.