• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Our new English Setter pup

Chode2235

Thought I would take a moment and post a couple photos of our new English Setter pup, Gracie.

Brought her home yesterday, and she has already been so much fun. She is such an adventurous spitfire, but so calm and mellow that she didn't even mind getting her first bath.

2807828463_203442b73e.jpg

2808677958_172e6f4d0d.jpg

2807827647_ed9081e3ee.jpg

Good for you, I'm sure you'll be happy with her. I have a pup from Jan also. His name is Haze, he turned two a few weeks ago. I will be getting my second pup from Jan next year. Hopefully it'll be a pup from a breeding with Haze as a stud dog. There's a picture of Haze on her HSOforum. Haze is a fantastic dog both in the field and the home. He's my first pup and I'm just glad he had great instincts because I didn't have a clue what I was doing. Good Luck with her.

Thanks. The Ryman's are nice!!!Beautiful dogs that can hunt, exactly what a setter is supposed to be, IMO. I constantly get compliments on him and people are surprised when they find out he's a hunting dog and not a show dog. He'll be out this weekend for his second grouse opener and off to Montana in mid-October for prairie and mountain grouse. He's got a lot of miles ahead of him.

Good stuff...Jan Turner's setters are awesome...my Clyde just turned 1 on July 18th...can't wait. The sire was Setter Hills Hunter...I purchased Clyde from Heartland setters...they're good friends with Jan. Couldn't be happier.

Harmonica, let's hear a report. I'm am bowhunting this weekend but am trying to decide what to do the weekend of the 20th...thinking about trying the area NE of Mille Lacs...but I'm also thinking of trying ND for sharpies...ah, I'm all over the board! Love this time of year.

Haze had several awesome grouse points this weekend. Didn't get on many birds SAT but he had 5 solid points yesterday. Many were on the same bird iIkept missing and reflushing but I finally got him. Good Luck with the pup. The best advice I can give is to get her on as many birds as you can and let her figure it out.

Great, thanks. Any suggestions on some places around the metro that I can take her out and run without the distractions?

She definitely has the hunting and pointing instincts, its very apparent already. Its great, but so far she has more instincts than manners, but it will be fun to work on them. She is such a sweetheart too, very much a snuggler.

Here are a couple new photos:

2861628456_48861ecefa.jpg2860799395_c100cbdc16.jpg2861627194_a33bda0e4c.jpg2861628134_9577c7692d.jpg

Ha! That looks just lime my Clyde with different markings. I got him right around the same time as you last year. To be honest, I started taking him to metro dog parks at a very young age...it was great for socializing will different dogs. I brough him out in the field pheasant hunting last November. He was still pretty small but it was mostly just for tagging along. You're going to have a blast with her!

Miller

You dont happen to have some photos of your all grown up setters? There are plenty of parks around here, but I am looking for someplace without a lot of distractions. I live pretty close to the Miss R, I will probably go exploring and see if I can find some good trails or places that are accessible.

I will go down to my parents near Chatfield, plenty of room to play out there but its a little to far to go everyday after work... smile

One place I would take my pup is a park in Delano. Technically they aren't supposed to be off a leash but I would walk my pup in there all the time without one and never got in trouble. No guarantees you won't though. I believe it's called Lake Rebecca. I would usually walk the horse/mountain bike trails since they are unpaved.

The other places I would go is to some WMA's near my house and Sherburne NWR but I had him out after the small game season was closed since I got him late in the year. There are some areas of Sherburne that have limited hunting so it may be an option. The nice thing about the park in Delano is there's no hunting allowed and there are LOTS of pheasants in there. The trails would be fine but the native grass may be a little tall for her. You may also try to Minnesota River valley NWR. There are areas of open grass and woods. Some of them are open to hunting and others have limited hunting.

There are lots of photos of my dog Haze on Jan's HSOforum or on Shooting Sportsman or the Ruffed Grouse Society galleries. If you come out to Delano let me know and I will try to meet up wiith you if I can to show you around.

Lake Rebecca is part of the Three Rivers park system and there are several areas where you can have your dog off leash. lake rebecca is one of them but i walked my dog ina different area. I know the area where they're allowed. I haven't really been on it but it may not be bad. It may be a bit of a drive for though. If you google the Three Rivers park District you get soem info. Good Luck, she's adorable by the way.

Nice looking pup Chode! WMA's are good places but I would be a little careful this time of year as small game opened on saturday. The DNR HSOforum should list them all and there are some real small ones in places you would never think there would be one.

Enjoy that fine looking pup!

Chode,

If you ever want to head out to the west metro I could show you some cool parks in the area. I've got a few in mind that I took Clyde to almost every day last fall. Here's a few pics of Clyde...like I said before he's from Heartland setters but the sire was Hunter, one of Jan's dogs.

clydecamping.jpg