• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Garden Yields?

hoggs222

I started my first garden this year. It's kinda dorky, but I set up a spreadsheet to see about planting next year. I have 2 4x8 raised beds. I used 1/2 and 1/2 Topsoil and Manure mixture. # of plants:

6 Jalapeno

3 Habenero

3 Serrano

3 Super Chili

3 Hot Bananna

1 packet of vine green beans

6 bell pepper

2 Cherry Tomato

4 Roma tomato

Here's what I have picked so far:

68 Jalapeno

5 Habenero

57 Serrano

83 Super Chili

66 Hot Bananna Pepper

90 Green Beans

7 Big Bell Peppers

66 Roma Tomato

354 Cherry Tomato

There is wayyyyyyy more out there that I haven't even picked yet. I'm surprised I didn't do this before, because I love salsa and chili! Now if I could just find a few hundred bags of tortilla chips somewhere!

I started 24 early girl tomatoes from seed in March. Also 200 walla walla onion plants. Did the lights and planted everything in the ground a week before memorial day. The tomatoes were so big they were flowering when they went into the garden. Ate my first tomato Jul 9. I have picked close to 8 bushels and have canned over 20 qts of sauce and given away many. Have tons of onions and accidentally bought habaneros instead of Japalernos. These things are so hot that I only give them to people I don't like. Did gardening this year to be as cheap as possible. Two bags of seeds and about 12 bucks for electricity for the grow lights. Easily got back my investment and next year will be cheaper cause I now own the grow lights and the tomato cages. I also tried to do Romas which did not produce as well and I am not too crazy about the flavor. Did 4 super sweet 100s and am picking about 150 a day of those. Been an awesome tomato year for me.

Generally can't enumerate what comes off the garden as between what I eat when I'm out there and what gets given away between the wife and I, there's no good way of knowing. Gave away many gallons of fresh picked string beans and sugar snap peas, quite a few small buckets of tomatoes, boo-koo grocery bags of cukes and dozens of ears of sweet corn. In addition, many 5 gallon pails of overdone cukes and at least one of string beans found their way over the fence to the sheep after being gone on business for a week. The zucchini of all things was about the most disappointing. Perhaps a dozen with lots of aborted zukes. Probably the closest I can come on any of the produce is the muskmelons. Gave away about 10 so far, ate another 5 roughly and there appear to be about 20 left to ripen/pick. Not sure on the pumpkin, gourd, squash, Indian corn front yet. All I know is I planted, weeded and fought the bugs so there are plenty for her to use for this fall wedding she's decorating for. Mysteriously somehow, a little fat buddy fall fishing trip managed to get planned for that same weekend. Let's see, go fishing or go to a wedding? Oh alright, guess I'll go fishing. grin