• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mercury Repair Manual

1900_LE

What is the best repair manual for 97 Mercury 200hp DFI. I need one that will be very specific on tearing things apart. I don't want something that only a certified mercury marine mechanic can understand. Should I go with Seloc, or one of Mercury's publications?

Thanks

Get a Mercury publication, they are very easy to understand and well written, probably the best manuals I've ever had.

Seloc and Clymer are just to start the fireplace.... laugh

If you get the Merc manual you stand less chance of getting into something that isn't covered by the after market manuals. You'll also get more info on just your outboard. When you get into after market manuals that cover multiple year and hp they'll list those as "type" instead of year. That can be somewhat confusing for the novice at times. Still the after market manuals can be useful with some very good detailed info. Diagrams are weak in both IMO.

Along with manuals, parts break downs and exploded views are very helpful. You can find those on-line.

I did a LOT of work on my boat motor last summer. It's a Johnson not a Merc, but as far as the manual goes....I started off with an aftermarket manual that is now ashes in the fire pit. The factory manual that is motor specific to that type was WAY better. If I ever have to do this again, to a different motor, I'll go motor specific manual every time.