• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cowgirls

sbro73

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will ALWAYS have a Pink/Pink DB10 in my box no matter what... as for the rest... I dont really have a favorite but I often find myself reaching for DB10 that has black in it the most... Also, if those DB10s are new, I reach for them more often than the old ones... call me supersititous...

2000.....the gold on gold DCG was a very good bait during Operation Muskie. It got the nickname "Ghetto Fabulous", and all you need to do is mention that to Steve Jonesi and watch his face crumple up!! smile

I like the Christmas Tree (Green/black skirt with nickel blades) the best. But what I have really started throwing and liking even more than the double 10's is the double 9's by Llungen. Awesome bait, works just as good as the double 10's, but pulls alot easier!!!!

Oh noooo........ I hope I didnt give away that Jonesi guys secret weapon!!!!..... Myself, I went the other way and I am doing great this year on the Super Model Cowgirl...... Of course Gold on Gold.....and all of my fish seem to be much fatter fish, must be the old "Bigger Bait Bigger Fish".... deal

2000 -

I've thrown the Super Model a bit this year but can't speak to any reall success so far - what retrieve have you found to be best - it always seems like even when I rev up the speed the blades aren't turning that fast - lately I've thrown the Showgirl more. Picked up a Dreamcatcher yesterday and can't wait to give it a toss.

Due to the colder temps this year I have been slow rolling almost everything and it seems to be working.... But on the other hand I have seen "lazy" fish and tried ripping them past and had a few turn on them that way... But you can only "rip" a supermodel for a few yards or so..... at least thats what I have found

I have a couple Cow Girls, a Whitefish(Thorne Bros Custom Color) and a Brown with Orange Blades. I haven't had any luck with them.

I have had some luck with Giant Killers, Eagle Tails and Bucher Tails. The Eagle Tail is an interesting story. The color is skunk and it is made with real skunk fir. After it has been in the water you can pick up a little bit of the stink.

MQ.........the skunk Eagletail is an awesome bait. Have done very well with this particular bait, especially on Mille Lacs, believe it or not. Don't know what it is, but the bait is just a killer out there!

2000......not a big secret and I don't think Jonesi is hurt. The bait got the its name after Steve lost a HUGE musky boat side on LOTW. Was a 52-53" fish, so he has a score to settle!!

Ghetto Fabulous,also known as OG(Over GOLD, from the movie "I'm Gonna Get You Sucka") has been a great bait this season for myself and a few buddies. I picked up all the materials from Thorne Bros. and twisted a few up. The only parts that aren't gold are the shaft, hooks and egg sinker. Speed has been key with this one though. Lots of it! Steve

To be honest, I have as many missed hook-ups on the double treble bucks as anything else, sometimes I think even more. The gap on the hooks at the barb is almost too wide and can prevent good hook penetration.

Eagle Tails and Lily Tails have been around a long time and they catch a lot of fish with the single hook.

With the cool down and the front I like the idea of downsizing a little, I'll be throwing a Lily Tail next time out.

On Cowgirls... I have had lots of luck with these, colors depend on light level for me. At dusk & night, I throw black with orange blades, if its cloudy I throw anything with the silvery sparkle skirts (silver & blue skirt w/silver blades is my confidence bait) and in the day with little cloud cover I throw a green & black skirt with chartruse blades. I have also had a lot of luck burning Showgirls this year, burning them FAST over & along weedlines. With the colder temps though, I'll probably be backing off the showgirl.

Eagletail's are simply awesome in sloppy water. The single hooks make it so easy to pull through heavy weeds. I suppose the hookup percentage is a bit lower, but then, I hate having to constantly pull big weed clumps off of both treble hooks of other bucktails.

I love Eagletails. They are simply the greatest big fish catching lure ever made........that is according to Muskies Inc stats, but regardless, they flat out work. Once trick that I learned from Dick Pearson and started doing it this summer, is to replace the back/bottom single hook with a treble (6/0 or 7/0). It will help your hook up percentage. I haven't and won't do it to all of my Eagletails, for the reasons stated above, they go through weeds very well and even when they do get hook into weeds, a quick snap of the rod and they will usually rid themselves of the weeds. So I have a mix of modified and regular Eagletails.

No need to apologize... Im flatly getting my butt KICKED all over no matter what color I use... even when I'm using pink... Im also considering about starting to purchase Eagletails... in fact, if I do go 0 for 0 for the rest of the year, Im changing my signature line... oh yeah, Im also gonna shave my head BALD!!!

Don't get down Rebel.........these fish are kicking my butt as well! Just the way it goes sometimes, I have learned to accept it but still love the search!!!

If you haven't gotten any Eagletails jump on the bus! Before the DCG, these WERE the big fish bucktails and still remain so in my eyes. Although they don't make any pink ones, I am sure you could probably custom order one from Hoppe.

Yep Bret... thats muskie fishing for us all.. It goes either way... Yesterday was the 1-year anniversary of my first-ever 43" at Mille Lacs... Fall is "here" and Im primed and ready...

Yep I know about the Eagletails... I know that George Wahl started it then sold to Hoppe... They did catch my attention with the all-natural colors and single hooks... No harm in asking Hoppe about custom ones...

dude give up with the pink lures alredy, because of your rants about pink i wouldent use that color if i was a life or death situation that would save me by using pink. good god the dc10, 13 , bung man double cowwgirls are as so overrated.