Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
eyepatrol

Self Sustaining?

11 posts in this topic

Wow, my first topic in this forum! (but not my first post) grin

The other night I was watching the History channel and they had a show on about the presidents starting with #1 - #5 (or something). Anyway, part of that show, they said one of the presidents was foolish to think we shouldn't trade with other foreign countries.

It got me to thinking.....why can't we be a self sustaining country? Why do we need to trade with foreign countries? What is it that they have which we don't? I know other countries have the oil and we use a lot of it. But what else do we need so bad from other countries to have to rely on them? Is being a self sustaining country a virtual impossibility?

Only a fool believes that everything of value is invented here. Doesn't matter if it's a country, company, state, family, etc., one should always look outside of oneself for useful items. As far as the USA, we have a lack of certain economic minerals (e.g. platinum) necessary for our economy.

I know this is a small portion of the overall discussion but actually there are sizable platinum reserves(along with other PGE's) right here in Minnesota. There are a few companies that are looking at developing those deposits and putting a lot of money into it.

http://www.geo.umn.edu/mgs/mnpot/dcmplx.html

Wow, my first topic in this forum! (but not my first post) grin

The other night I was watching the History channel and they had a show on about the presidents starting with #1 - #5 (or something). Anyway, part of that show, they said one of the presidents was foolish to think we shouldn't trade with other foreign countries.

It got me to thinking.....why can't we be a self sustaining country? Why do we need to trade with foreign countries? What is it that they have which we don't? I know other countries have the oil and we use a lot of it. But what else do we need so bad from other countries to have to rely on them? Is being a self sustaining country a virtual impossibility?

I would say we need factory resources, natural resources, technology, engineering, and also if we were self-sustaining we wouldn't have much for pricing, just to start and too many others to mention.

It would be easy to say well then we don't have to worry about the "globabl" economy, but when the trappers in the very early days would follow the hudson to come here for trading for goods and such that was the beginning of a globabl economy...

we could be self sustaining only if we are able to make huge concesions. Be willing to pay more, do without, and create a population that can do it all and is willing to do it all. It would take time to build factories and plants to produce everything we want and need. Also what about natural resources are we able to produce a steady enough inventory to meet our demand?

I think we could produce enough for our demand, if we truly wanted to and truly put our own resources and efforts first, however; with the mind set majority of americans have it won't happen. Many people want too much too fast and not willing to put the time in to get it the right way. You can see that at the most basic level's

Until WW 2 the country was almost completely self sustaining and largely an exporter. However, as the country progressed and we, the citizens, demanded more and more cheap consumer goods and business responded to the market and went abroad for our goods. If internal sustainability is the goal, then we cannot have a use and pitch it out mentality.

I think we could but it would never happend. It would cost too much to build factories and everything else needed. And hey, we can't even get a spare refinery up.

That all makes sense to me.

Thanks everyone for the responses! It was just one of those things that made me think...."why not?". smile

If my memory serves me correctly, we once did have a closed door trade policy but learned that it didn't work well in our economic system. For some reason I want to say that WWI had a lot to do with changing our thinking. Any history buffs out there that can refresh my memory?

Bob