• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

So how many birds (ducks & geese combined) does everyone like to take over the course of the season?

For me, if I bag 2 - 3 limits of ducks and 4 - 6 geese over the course of a season, that's enough for me. I eat 2 - 4 ducks per week during the season and will also mix in a family feed with my relatives where we cook up a couple geese once per season, but beyond that, I really don't need much more. And 90% of the birds I get, I breast them out.

ive never had a problem not using meat, so i guess i take about as many birds as i am afforded during a given hunt. i dont sit for 2 extra hours waiting for 1 teal to finish out a limit, but i have many family members and friends that really enjoy and look forward to my waterfowl, upland bird, and big game offerings i like to prepare. and if it seems like i have meat in the freezer that might be on the "old" side; in the jerky gun it goes!

I know for me I will take what I can get during the season, love to eat fresh duck and goose and have many friends that enjoy them too, but don't hunt, so will have them over for a feed, and I really want to do more goose jerky this year

eating it is secondary for me...sort of like a necessary evil. I'd never shoot 'em and leave 'em lay, but if I'm hunting with a guy who loves to eat fowl I'm just fine letting him take the birds. That isn't to say I don't like eating them now and then--it just gets old eating ducks and geese just so you can stay under your possession limit. I roasted a bunch of each tonight just to get rid of it in hopes of cleaning out the freezer before hunting season. We've also figured out that making them into jerky and bringing them in for sausage is a good way to get rid of 'em.

My wife actually makes the breasts a couple ways. One is just like chicken parmesan, but it's duck/goose. The other is stuffing it with blue cheese. Wow do I love duck/geese made these 2 ways!!!!! ESPECIALLY the parmesan way. Yum!

Another way I like to make them is to sprinkle a little of McCormmick's steak or chicken seasoning on them, then wrap with bacon and bake in the oven. Another tasty treat for me!

I eat duck/goose during the season for 2 reasons. One is because I like them and the other reason is to stay under the possession limit. It's a double-bonus. Get to eat tasty meals and go shoot some more! cool

Dang! Now I wish I had some duck or goose breast for tonight! Making me hungry! grin

I take whatever I can within the limits, (not that limits are all that common) Like others, I like to eat it and know many people who do not hunt anymore that love duck and goose as well.

eyepatrol, both of those recipes sound real good, got any more details on either of them?

I'll have to check with my wife tonight about that. For the duck/goose parmesan, I know it involves frying in a pan with some breading to give it that little crunch on the outside, then putting it in the oven and baking through with cheese and pasta sauce spread on top, plus we cook some noodles to utilize the remaining pasta sauce and eat it as a side dish.

As for the stuffed breast, I think she stuffs some blue cheese and other things in the breast, but again I'll have to ask her.

They're both darn good though.