• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Using a lawn tractor?

BradT

Since I dont have a 4 wheeler to pull my otter sled out on the ice, I was wondering If I could use my lawn tractor? I got a steal on a 19horse with bigger than normal tires and tire chains. I got it for $20 and it runs great. but I wasn't sure if anyones tried to use one on the ice. Since it's ony 2wd. I'm not sure if I'd be asking for more problems than its worth. But draging an otter sled full of equipment by hand is kind of pain. just a thought, thanks for the info.

i think you're asking for trouble unless there's only an inch or two of snow, and then it's not too hard to pull the house by hand anyway. I pull an Otter Lodge with my atv in 4wd with tire chains, and it gets a workout as the snow gets deeper and deeper.

$20!!! What a steel.

Kinda agree with PJ ... I recommend talking to a dealer about the approximate towing capacity. Depending on what your towing it can get pretty heavy, especially if you have a bunch of gear, and plowing it through snow.

Would probably be okay if using chains, not a lot snow, or you have skis on it that gets it above the snow. For what you paid, worth a try ... better then pulling by hand. Better yet see if someone will trade you their sled/4wd for it :-)

I don't think I'll have a problem with the towing wieght since I currently use it to move my boat and my camper around the yard/driveway. I'm just not sure how well it'll get traction on ice. I figured I'd try this winter with the chains and see what happens. I'm not sure if there is any kind of mods I can do to make it better for driving on the lake, got any? BTW I wonder if it's even legal since it's not registered like a wheeler or a snowmobile is? any thoughts?

$20!!! What a steel.

Kinda agree with PJ ... I recommend talking to a dealer about the approximate towing capacity. Depending on what your towing it can get pretty heavy, especially if you have a bunch of gear, and plowing it through snow.

I doubt that a portable fish house is gonna put the lawn tractor over its towing capacity. He's not talking about pulling a 30ft 5th wheel camper with 3 slide outs to California.

BTW, whats the GVWR on a 19hp John Deere anyway?

If you can't lock the rear end you'll have one wheel drive.

Take the mower deck off for clearance. Use V chains for bite. Add wheel weights. I won't say, disconnect the safety kill switch on the seat because you'll need to get off and push, because that wouldn't be safe.. Bring a shovel.

Other mods.

Larger dia and skinny front tires will push less snow.

Larger rear tires will give you more speed and roll through snow better.

Depending on how the drive is you can modify that for more speed.

I would think that you'll need to license it as an ATV.

Or, cut grass with it as a summer job and save up and bye a snowmobile.

I have actually seen this a couple times. One guy was even pulling his permanent house (was working until he got stuck grin). Another used his to travel from the landing to his house, worked fine. For 20 bucks I'd use it!

Is this a "319" with hydrostatic drive? If it is, there is all sorts of mods that you can do to it. Adding bolt on wheel weights to rear, or fill the tires with fluid to get traction would be the first thing I would do. Add your chains. Stud the front tires, add wheel weights(to front also), and a blade, and than plow your way out.I wouldn't get crazy with the weight though. Get it too heavy, you might as well drive your truck out. I'd like to see an auger system rigged up off the mower drive. That would be sweet.

I'd definately give it a shot. I have seen of all things, a guy pulling his portable on a modified dirtbike. I didn't see what CC engine he had on it, but he modified the back tire to have chains and pulled off the front wheel an replaced it with a ski. I saw a bunch of weights on the ski in the front ,but he was tooling around with this settup. Crazy! You just have to love the crazy modifications people pull out of their heads for ice fishing. Its just amazing to see what people can accomplish.

I called the DNR yesterday and they said that I can use a lawn tractor on the ice without having to license it. OH Yeah!! I hooked up the otter sled to the Murray last night and drug it around the grass, worked great. Now I just have to test it on ice. So if any of you guys see a guy with a green murray tractor pulling a purple otter fish house, come say hi. or help push if I'm stuck LOL.