• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

German Longhair Pointers

PikeBayCommanche

Yeah, I actually own a brown German Shorthair. I like him alot, they need alot of attention when they're young, but if you train them right you will have a great hunter and companion. Mine's going on three now, and he gets better every year, My dad has also had a couple and they have been great hunters. I'd go for it.

Yeah, I actually own a brown German Shorthair.

German Longhairs are similar to German Shorthairs only in name and country of origin.

The GSP was created by crossing the old Spanish Pointer and various Scent Hounds and a some outcrosses with the English Pointer.

German Longhairs on the other hand, were created by breeding Irish Setters, Gordon Setters, and French Spaniels.

I have a 16 week old French Spaniel. To early to tell how he is going to work out. One day he is really good an then the next not so good. Pretty sure things will work out with lots of exposure to birds and me being patient. I can tell you that he is a retrieving machine.

If your thinking German long hair look into the "Large Munsterlander" breed(see avetar) They are a german long hair but bread especialy for the versitile hunter. They can be hard to come by and well worth it. None better in my opinion. Their colors are only black and white plated with ticking.

Check the Large Munserlander Club of North America web sight you wont be dissapointed, you will be amased at what this bread can do.

Both the German Longhaired Pointer (GLP) and the Large Munsterlander (LM) are fine dogs. I watched a LM pass the field section of his test at the NAVHDA Invitational last Thursday on the way to earning his Versatile Championship (VC). The top NAVDA test and the only title NAVHDA bestows. The work that dog did was as good as any I saw that day.

IMO the biggest difference is picking between the GLP and the LM (besides the coloring - and all things being equal you might as well have a dog you think looks cool) is that the new German Longhaired Pointer Club of North America (google both clubs - good stuff) is organized through the German system which means that you would have the option of testing through the GNA system as well as NAVHDA. The LM club, like the Pudelpointer club, puts commendable restrictions on breeding, however the GLPs are a little more stringent as they follow the German system. The German testing system - upon which NAVHDA testing is based - is a thorough test of a dogs natural ability and development. This is the same testing system that the Deutsch Drahtharr DD and European breed Pudelpointers, LMs etc. are breed based on. Plus, like a DD breed dog, no member of the new GLP club can breed their dogs unless both the sire and dam pass specific tests both for performance and confirmation (the standard for confirmation is not based on beauty, but instead for function in the field.) In other words, not only are you guaranteed to get a dog breed for the field, but that guarantee is backed up with a single structured testing system. That appeals to me.

Believe me LMs are breed for the field. There is no one breeding these guys for the show ring, or flyball, or because their kid saw one in the window of the pet store at the mall, or because that's the dog that all the other guys in the rooster field own. Further, like the PP the LM breed club has done a great job of putting superior hunting dogs on the ground.

It's great to see people taking an interest in the V-Dogs!