• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice drill / Hand Auger ???

Neighbor_guy

I am thinking about buying the attachment that converts an electric drill and a hand auger to a power auger. My questiions are:

For those of you who have these, Where did you get it?

How tight does it hook to your drill? Any risk of loosing it?

how do you like it???

I tried one last year and it was great. Looking to attach one to my 6" mora.

I just traded an 8 inch manual for a 4 inch manual with the intention of attaching to a drill. I found an adapter online that has flattened edges where the drill connects for a better hold, it's made of steel, and it has a disc that is wide than the hole so it won't drop down the hole. The site is a bit suspect since they take check payments but don't provide a mailing address. ? I sent them an email today about where to send payment. We'll see. It's called the EZ Auger. I found a cheaper one for only 9.99.

save the bucks! ya really have to have a great drill with high torque get an Icegator! you'll never regret it I did the same as you bought the adapter but it was too hard on the drill get a 19.2 -24 volt drill 2 speed manditory and keep batteries warm my mikita wouldnt handle my 6" lazer now have the icegator and can drill all day long with eather the 6 or 8 " lazers BTW if you do get the adapter buy the extended warentee for the drill and batteries!!!

I can't wait for my Ice Gator to show up, and for some Ice.... I was sold and mine Ice Gator is on the way. For a hard house, it really had me sold. I fish many times with children. With the Ice Gator, they won't have to suck in all the smoke filled air from cutting fresh holes. This too will give them some set up duties which are good for them to learn. I am ready for ice!

Sportsmans Guide (on-line store) sells an adaptor for $21.99. It is called "Nimrod Ice Auger Adaptor". It is supposet to work with a Mora ice bit, as well as others.

One of the better ones on the market but remember if it's and old Mora it has left hand threads at the joint.

Also as stated above you need a good drill with new batteries and Nicad don't like the cold, need to keep them warm. The new lith ion work better in the cold.

Lazer or Nils work the best on the cordless drill and stay under 6'' on the drill size.

I just bought the nimrod, hooked it up to my DeWalt 18V and a Strikemaster 4" auger and gave it a spin. Works great (on carpet anyway). I hear that you should bring a small cooler with handwarmers in it and keep your batteries in there until you are set to drill. I plan on using it late winter for perch if the snow is deep and I don't want to drag out my Nils. If the surface is good I might end up bringing both. The 4" for the flasher the 8" to fish out of. Might just drill the small hole when seraching for fish too. I plan on making some rod holders from 4" pipe reduced to 2" and drill a partial hole with the 4" auger. We'll see how that goes. Using a drill like this is very popular here in Madison, WI since the ice doesn't ever get super thick and most people already have a pretty good drill.

Uggg...

I hate those things...

I saved up a little, and then suggested to wife and parents, that they all pitch in to buy the other half of a power auger for me for X-mass...

Even if I have to choose between hand, or that drill [PoorWordUsage]...

I'm choosing hand auger everytime...

Faster, more portable, easier to work with, and less frustrating.

Either drill size would work with the Nimrod. They recommend at least a 14V drill. A keyless chuck will be a highly desirable feature. It would be good to get one with two speed ranges so you can operate at the slower speed. I don't know why someone would hate these. I would say this is just as portable. I used an 8" manual for a year and it got to the point where I hardly moved because I got tired shoulders and the sweating I did while drilling made me cold once I sat still. A gas powered auger is the right tool for the job but if you have a decent drill and a smaller manaul auger why not spend $30 on the attachment?

Either drill size would work with the Nimrod. They recommend at least a 14V drill. A keyless chuck will be a highly desirable feature. It would be good to get one with two speed ranges so you can operate at the slower speed. I don't know why someone would hate these. I would say this is just as portable. I used an 8" manual for a year and it got to the point where I hardly moved because I got tired shoulders and the sweating I did while drilling made me cold once I sat still. A gas powered auger is the right tool for the job but if you have a decent drill and a smaller manaul auger why not spend $30 on the attachment?

Granted the fact that I'm an amature Body Builder, might make less of a pain in the butt effort for me with the hand auger. (I run a power auger now)

But my 18V drill using my buddy's Drill-Auger was frustratingly slow as I scraped away. Heaven help you if you hit an impurity in the ice for the head to catch on, and you have no way to impart any meaningful manual force.

And you can bet that each jam up and twist isn't adding to the life of your already expensive drill.

While the unit as a whole is just fine for portablity... It's the fact that you have to keep some means handy to keep your battery alive and warm... Because everytime that battery freezes, or any time it gasses out, it's shortening the life of the battery...

So you have to buy at least one spare battery... Probably the spendy one so it takes the cold better.

Or you have to haul out a cooler with warm hand packs... Or fish with the battery tucked in your coat like a nice and comfortable brick. (Which is a blast to run for a tip up with!)

When I add up stuff like the cost of a battery (Potentially every year) $25

The cost of the Drill Auger $35

And possibly shortening the life of my $100 drill, abusing it in a way that I'm sure the manufacturer in Missouri never intended...

A 6" Hand Auger, a little exercise and an extra stick of Anti-persperant seems like one heck of a deal!

*Note I also wear moisture wicking base layers, to fight the cold-sweating thing... But really, I break more of a sweat hauling the gear out and setting up the portable than I did from running the hand auger.

Dont get me wrong, I can cut a hole faster with my 6"mora hand auger and sharp blades than I can with the 8" gas, but I drill a lot of holes and liked what I saw when I tried the one last year. In a race the drill cut holes 2-1 against me and my mora. It was also running a mora and had much older blades than mine did.

The people I talked to drilled well over 100 holes in the few hours I was there and the thing never flinched. When I tried it I was amazed. Just though it would be nice for early season or fishing shallow pans when the gas auger is impractical or too dang heavy